Thread: Two sided machining hold down

Default Two sided machining hold down

Hey guys,

Making some sawdust this morning and had a question on two sided machining hold down/location holes. I've got a set of 4 hold down holes in my spoil board with threaded inserts, these are 1/4x20 bolts, I drill a 3/8" hole in 4 locations on my material and use a 3/8" spacer to make sure that there is no play in the material and it is held down solidly. My questions is about flipping, and for some reason my brain just isn't processing this well today, I'm going to have some more coffee in a minute... When I flip, as long as the holes are located in relation to the cutting file, it shouldn't matter the size of my material, correct? For instance, sometimes my material is 14" along the Y, sometimes it's 14.5". But that should be ok because the excess material is outside the machining area and will just overhang and not affect my location? Here's a pic of what I'm working on today, it's a bit excessive because I made the work area the size of my table but it gives an idea of what I'm trying to reference in regards to my actual material being larger than the boundary of what I'm actually cutting. As always, thanks in advance!

*I should clarify that the reason I'm asking is because when I glue material together sometimes the pieces I use don't end up at a precise measurement every time, and taking it over to the table saw is one extra step that if I can avoid, I gladly will!

Screenshot (1).jpg

There's lots of info posted here about this already...Do a search for "Two sided machining hold down" - there are plenty of ways to do it. I never use dowels and I pre-dimension my material. You have to pick a method that works best for you. Read up and you'll find one method that clicks.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks, good reminder to search first. Through my quick reading it seems like now I'm leaning towards a vacuum hold down, definitely wasn't the situation at the beginning of the day, lots of good info though.