Thread: Die for debossing

Default Die for debossing

Debossing die carved into HDPE, pressed into veg tanned leather key fob purchased at Michaels. Pretty fine details — even though can’t be seen on the die itself. . Logo comes from a video blogger. Used Amanda 60 deg insert bit and Onsrud 1/16” super o upcut, Vectric’s Aspire, and my ShopBot PRS Std.

5E8C02C5-3D61-4E03-98E7-D45335CD32BD.jpg

Here's another, close up photo of the key fob with debossing.
    key fob closeup.jpg

Very nice Chris. Thanks for sharing pics.

What kind of press did you use? Do you do any other leather work?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thank you. Harbor Freight, bench top, $80. But, I think I could’ve just mashed it in a bench vise. Never done leather work, just cheating by watching YouTube videos. Hoping to get my kids to design something they like. We’ll see. Thanks

Interesting! Did you somehow dye the embossed surface or does the color change come just by compression?
    I guess a metal die would be more durable than the relatively soft HDPE?

Yeah...I’ve been playing with some scraps of plastic I collect, like Corian, HDPE, acrylic, etc. I’m still a bit shy about cutting metals. Need to get over that. Especially for small details in a small design. My scrap of HDPE is white (see white disk in first photo), and I couldn’t make out the surface quality of the small lettering — here it was “2WR” — even after trying to color/shade it with a pencil and some felt tip markers. Maybe I need to invest in some small blocks of aluminum and brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    Interesting! Did you somehow dye the embossed surface or does the color change come just by compression?
    I guess a metal die would be more durable than the relatively soft HDPE?
    I just figured out what you are asking — no dye, color change results solely from compression. Also, the effect makes you think about the strategy for the design — which features to press into the leather surface and which features to carve as voids that leave the leather surface untouched. I’m pretty sure this is vegetable-tanned leather. Other finishes don’t hold the debossing impression very well or at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    ... I’m still a bit shy about cutting metals. Need to get over that. Especially for small details in a small design....
    Brass is expensive but cuts beautifully, especially the 360 alloy (without any coolant/lubricant). And you would need anyway only a small piece. You should try it. Aluminum is not so bad as well as long as the bit does not get hot and fuses with the chips.
    Thanks for the info on the color and the leather type. Got to try that. I am even wondering if such a die could be heated for a branding process. But I guess there are YouTube videos about that as well.