Thread: Painting Pvc

Default Painting Pvc

Hello Everybody,
    It's been a while since I posted. I have researched the forum for info on painting pvc. I have some 1/2 pvc letters I'm trying to paint that will be mounted on acrylic standoff sign. What is everyone currently using to achieve a flat finish. I did read where Joe said scuff up with 220 grit sandpaper. Some said you can paint with acrylic latex. Trying to paint dark navy blue and metallic gold. Thanks for any help.

This is from the Azek (PVC manufacturer) website. AZEK® Trim products do not require paint for protection, but may be painted to achieve a custom color or to cover nail holes that have been filled. If you choose to paint, use 100% acrylic latex paint with an LRV of 55 or higher.
    I have had very good success with latex Behr from Home Depot.

Phil

I have found PVC one of the easiest substrates to topcoat. Our favorites paints are acrylic latex.
    It's best to abrade the top surface. I often use a 120p up to 240p on an orbital sander. Three coats are always best.

Attached Images Attached Images

What type of Pvc are you using? Type 1 PVC solid, or an expanded pvc like celtec?

Joe - That's a really, really nice sign.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

George,

I'm using the standard PVC much like Celtec. For 19mm, (3/4") cost us $125.00 but the cost is all over the map. In this area it can range up to $165.00. I'm talking about the single sheet price. Our main supplier is Western Allied.

John,

Thanks for the complement. All the colors are regular latex manufactured by Benjamin Moore. I stay with flat sheen on the background and border.

Joe

Thanks for the input.