Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting HDPE panels

Hybrid View

Default Cutting HDPE panels

Hey guys...I was asked last night to cut some letters out to label a building. The letters will be about 12" tall and probably mounted to a Extira or another HDPE backer. I told them we could cut them out of the HDPE panels and the letters will be white, so I was thinking HDPE would be a good choice. Thinking I'll use 1/4" but maybe 3/8" would be better.

Any hints, suggestions or other help you can give me on cutting this material would be great. Does HDPE screw well? Thinking screws through the backing into the letters, so the fasteners don't show.

I could use Extira for the entire thing, but that would require maintenance down the road, and I think they are trying to minimize that.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

I would use something other than HDPE for this as it is hard to glue up. We use Sintra for this and pocket the letters for easy assembly.

Jerry, if you pocket a sintra backer to place the letters into, how do you stiffen the backer? Is the stiffener part of the hanger for the backer? I love working with sintra but just for my models not for the signs I do. Just askin'! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Use PVC… You can get it in white or black or it easily paints. You can prism cut or round the edges with Type 1 PVC… not so with the foamed products like Sintra.

SG

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    I would use something other than HDPE for this as it is hard to glue up. We use Sintra for this and pocket the letters for easy assembly.
    I agree. If by hard to glue up you mean almost impossible. The only way I've found to reliably join HDPE is to weld it together.

I use 12 mil PVC or Sintra and only pocket it .062 just enough to set the letters in. I also use the 6 mil for the letter that gives you a nice dimensional look. Most of the signs I do are mounted to a wall

OK, don't use HDPE.... Where to purchase the PVC or Sintra?
    Tom Bachman,
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896

I like the idea of being able to prism the top of the letters.
    Tom Bachman,
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896

I get mine at Allied plastics… do you have a commercial plastic supplier nearby, or a sign supply house?
    SG

No, I live in rural America. Was hoping that HD actually had the 3/4" PVC sheets they list on the website........no such luck. I'll check out Allied.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    I get mine at Allied plastics… do you have a commercial plastic supplier nearby, or a sign supply house?
    SG
    Tom Bachman,
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896