Thread: cut rectangle command has a bug??

Default cut rectangle command has a bug??

Ok, this card works. It cuts a 2x2 rectangle 10 mils deep, just like it is supposed to.
    CR,2, 2, T, 1, 4,-0.01,1,2,1

This card does not. It "cuts" an air rectangle 1" ABOVE the work surface!
    CR,1.0, 6.500, T, 1, 4,-0.010,1,2,1

I don't understand why, so I try the following.
    CR,1.0, 6.500, T, 1, 4,-1.010,1,2,1
    And of course, it jams the bit down through the work piece into the spoil board, trying to reach 1" below the surface I reckon. Fortunately nothing broke before I could get the thing stopped. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks.

Try to repeat your modified commands making SURE that you either don't use spaces, or DO use spaces, but not both, between the parameters.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

?? The command that worked (first one) has a mix of spaces and no-spaces. And my 2 commands that did not work have the same mix as the one that worked.

Looks like you have a parameter off.

The fill in sheet for CR using your parameters, gives the following code:

---------------------------------------CR, 1, 6.5, T, 1, 4, -0.010, 1, 1, 1, 0, 3
    Now here's your code: -------------CR, 1, 6.5, T, 1, 4, -1.010, 1 ,2, 1

A value for Plunge from zero of "2" is invalid. It can only be 1 or 0, respectively; On or Off

I realize you wanted to go 1.01, not .01...but you get the general idea.

There ARE cases where the spaces matter - so don't discount that if you are tinkering with canned routines like CR. Lack of discipline with spaces will bite you...be consistent.

-B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thank you so much. I'll work on it today.

But how did the first card work then? It was generated by their little program.

Actual name is:
    SB flattener minimum.exe

You're welcome.

I don't why that one worked. The only thing I use the CR command for is flattening the table top. Everything else I'll just draw up in software, visually verify it is what I want, and then cut that SBP. The way I see it is, you get so much more control over what the tool is going to do, PLUS visual confirmation of what is going to happen...and you don't have to remember to turn the output switch on first (SO,1,1) so it doesn't start moving the tool with the spindle off...because THAT's always fun...For me it's an extra what, 2 minutes to draw and toolpath it compared to using CR for a cutout?

-B

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    You're welcome.

I don't why that one worked. The only thing I use the CR command for is flattening the table top. Everything else I'll just draw up in software, visually verify it is what I want, and then cut that SBP. The way I see it is, you get so much more control over what the tool is going to do, PLUS visual confirmation of what is going to happen...and you don't have to remember to turn the output switch on first (SO,1,1) so it doesn't start moving the tool with the spindle off...because THAT's always fun...For me it's an extra what, 2 minutes to draw and toolpath it compared to using CR for a cutout?

-B
    I totally agree with you on this Brady. I use 1/8" MDF sacrificial sheets when cutting plywood. These sheets have to be skimmed both sides. I used Aspire (Vcare will do the same thing) to draw the rectangle for the sheet and did a pocket toolpath and off it goes. I saved the cut file, as I use it all the time. I do the same thing when surfacing a slab, large piece of material that won't fit in the wide sander or some other material. Just use Aspire/Vcarve to create the cut files for you. It only takes a minute or two to do it. And you won't forget anything that you could forget in the hand coded file.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Default found the bug

I found the bug. Before I forget, I need to explain what went wrong so it doesn’t bite someone else. Fortunately it doesn’t appear to have damaged my machine, but it certainly could have and came very close.

If you put a -0.000 for the plunge depth on a Cut Rectangle (CR) card, it will cut an air rectangle 1 inch ABOVE the zero elevation. I had put that card first to ensure that my initial surface was flat at 0.000, etc., and then interrupted the routine when I saw that it was not cutting at zero.

The ShopBot folks might want to address this. Zero should mean zero, not +1.000!

Thanks,
    BB

PS. Thanks for those later replies. I'll try that too.
    PPS. I would also appreciate it if you two would independently verify what I am saying here.

I'm pretty sure that the 1.0" value is coming from the VC (Values Cutter) settings, which is why there is a quick link at the bottom of the CR fill-in sheet (card). You can change this to be whatever value you want.

Also, the value in CR for Z depth does NOT have to be a negative number. It can be positive for verifying the cut via air cutting.

-B