Thread: Shopbot wire guide

Default Shopbot wire guide

I need to replace the flexible plastic wire guide, it snapped today. Is there a practical substitute for the wire guide that anyone has designed?

Phil

In a pinch - to get you through for a few weeks, 1/4" Sintra/Komatex PVC will work. If it's a PRT, you'll need 3 pieces. 2 @ about 24" and the long piece. Use the two shorter ones to bolster/reinforce the ends where they attach to the angle brackets. You can buy a replacement from SB...but personally, I'd look at putting E-chain on it and getting rid of the guide. It's probably the same price or cheaper to put e-chain on it....look on Ebay. Something 3-4" wide is fine.

Here you go...$40+sh Make sure it's right before you buy...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

it is made from polycarbonate but the echain is so much nicer.

Wow - $40 is a gift of a price.
    I've been considering adding one to X - axis on a PRSAlpha 9660. Looks like about a 64" length on the Y axis - anyone know ideal length for the X?

jeff

Yeah everything CNC related has gotten really cheap over the years.

I don't remember the length off the top of my head, but find out what the minimum bend radius is for the chain you are looking at, triple it and then add that length to 1/2 the X travel (since the chain only has to go 1/2 way). Longer is fine because you can easily remove links.

Don't forget, you'll need a trough for the chain to sit in along the X. On my 16' machine I made one out of 2pcs of 2x2 angle and then welded 2 pieces of 2x2 angle to side bolt/attach to the table crossmembers. Works great. I suppose you could make one out of some plywood and 2x lumber too...If that's "your style"...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

This E-Chain is 52" long. The existing plastic guide is 68" long. I know that the E-Chain is much more flexible but can it make up for a 16" difference?

Phil

Phil,
    Yes...there's no Z dimension to contend with. That guide is like 3 feet or so up in the air. Guys in low ceiling basements go this route all the time.

-B

Just placed the order - thanks.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Yeah everything CNC related has gotten really cheap over the years.

I don't remember the length off the top of my head, but find out what the minimum bend radius is for the chain you are looking at, triple it and then add that length to 1/2 the X travel (since the chain only has to go 1/2 way). Longer is fine because you can easily remove links.

Don't forget, you'll need a trough for the chain to sit in along the X. On my 16' machine I made one out of 2pcs of 2x2 angle and then welded 2 pieces of 2x2 angle to side bolt/attach to the table crossmembers. Works great. I suppose you could make one out of some plywood and 2x lumber too...If that's "your style"...

-B
    i converted mine to e-chain also. for my trough i used cheap plastic gutter from menards - works excellent