Thread: Change to a 3 phase spindle

Default Change to a 3 phase spindle

I finally have an opportunity to install the 4 hp spindle I bought last fall. I have 3 phase power in the shop and a 2016 prs standard currently with a router. I have 2 questions on the power feed if someone can help.
    1. 60 amp seems huge, does that include power for my vacuum pumps too. mine are on their own circuit in another room.
    2. Do I need a motor starter for the spindle.
    Thanks for your help
    I know shopbot doesn't want to get involved with power supply so I am hoping the forum can help.

Bob,
    Have a look over HERE for power requirements and wiring diagrams.

1) If you ahve 3ph, 30A @230v is plenty for up to 5hp. This does NOT include anything else - and not the control box power either. My 5hp spindle draws 22 FLA. I bet you'd even be OK @ 20A.
    2) No. I would recommend a disconnect to turn off power to the VFD.

If not obvious, you need the correct VFD for the spindle, which inputs 3phase and controls the spindle RPM. You also need the appropriate cable to go between the spindle and VFD, in addition to a 24v power supply in the control box to power the spindle's cooling fan. This should be on any time the control box is on. The 2 wires from the black connector on front of the spindle go to the 24v PS.

In simplest terms & installation, you need the spindle, VFD and cable, plus 24v power supply for the fan. Aside from this, you DO NOT have to wire anything besides the 24v PS into the control box. You can run the spindle manually just like your router. However, if you want it to go on/off in the SBP file, you'll need a trigger wire from the control box Output1 to the VFD. If you want e-stop integration, you'll need contactors capable of handling the 30A from the spindle. It all depends on what you want/need.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady, I couldn't figure out why Shopbot recommended 60 amp. I have the HSD 4hp spindle and the same VFD Shopbot sells with it and I will hook it up per spec so it all runs through the control box. I am a little confused about the motor starter. All of my other tools with 5 -10 hp motors seem to have a starter associated with them but I am not real familiar with the parameters that require them.
    Isn't the existing disconnect on the control box also for the VFD?

[ I have the HSD 4hp spindle and the same VFD Shopbot sells with it and I will hook it up per spec so it all runs through the control box.

When you buy a spindle and control box from Shopbot they re-program the box to work with their software. They also have a small add on board that will allow you to set speed and control on and off from the SB3 program.
    I think that if you call them they would re-program your box and the extra control board (From memory) was not too expensive.

Bob,
    I just moved into my new building, and talked direct to Shopbot about that seemingly excessive value (60 amps for a 2.2 hp spindle...!??). Based on motor / VFD amperage, they described how at the time my machine was purchased, they were being advised to rate the breaker at something like 2.5 x actual amperage. They concurred that this was excessive, indicated that advice had since been deemed so, and recommended at my new location a 25 amp breaker for my HSD 2.2hp spindle. It's up and running just fine.

I know shopbot doesn't want to get involved with power supply
    My recent experience was quite the opposite. I strongly urge you to call and get their most up-to-date recommendation for your particular spindle. They had no hesitation in discussing this with me. Regulations change - they are always interested in helping, and for me, the call was well worth it, as it helped me in calculating / loading the sub-panel I've set up dedicated to my machine and all its peripherals.

FWIW, I strongly recommend a sub-panel for all machines. Avoids lengthy light-gauge wire runs, and helps to more concisely manage grounding.

Good luck!

jeff

Tlempicke thanks for the response. Shopbot sent me an upgrade kit and a schematic to upgrade my own. If I have a little time and the relatively simple wiring from the prs I can follow a schematic and wire my own. Faster than sending the control panel back and I like to challenge myself to learn.
    JTR thanks, maybe I just made assumptions and quit asking questions too soon. I will call them back today and try to be more specific.

FYI - You don't HAVE to wire up ANYTHING to the control box. You can wire up the VFD to 3-phase and run it as-is. Of course you'll have to push the Run button to start the spindle and set the RPM manually, but that's pretty much it. You may want to go this route first, then work on control box integration when you get your head wrapped around it.

Get yourself something like one of these disconnects so you can kill power to the VFD. Depending on where you live, code may require one anyway.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com