Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What keeps you from using your indexer/rotary/4th axis?

Andrew is spot on. DeskProto is excellent for rotary work, especially if the model needs to be true to form and accurately represented. I have the Commercial Multi-Axis Edition, but as mentioned, there is a hobby version as well that basically has the same features for a fraction of the cost...but if you make money with it, do the honorable thing and ante up for the Commercial version. Lex works very hard on DP.

My only wish for DP is a full subtractive preview of the toolpaths, which I mentioned in the past but was told that it wouldn't be possible any time soon. If this feature was present, it would make DP the ultimate software for rotary work, but for now it's pretty close, with the ability to preview the toolpath lines.

FYI - You can try a fully functional demo of DeskProto and cut some files on your indexer for I think 30 days. Keep in mind that the post processor and machine setup may need tweaking to get your posted SBP code working correctly.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Creative Solids, Fairfield Glade Tennessee

I used Rhino to do the design for guitar necks - then sent it to Aspire for the toolpath. Rhino was great, but it is one of those programs that one must use on a regular basis or you loose how to use it - probably just an old guy problem. Subtle or even not so subtle UI differences really adds challenge to mastering different versions of CAD/CAM software. My go to program is a 98 version of AutoCadLT – I keep an old Vista laptop around as it is the last Window OS that will run it. UI differences in TurboCad drive me back to LT, but DraftSight has a free 2d program that is similar to LT that I like.

I have now downloaded Aspire version 9. Decided best way to explore indexer was to watch the rotary indexer tutorial – Rotary Machining 3D and I have been impressed! I agree, Brady, Vectric has come along way in the rotary tool area.

I have also downloaded trial version of Deskproto multi-axis. The tutorials I have looked at take existing 3d models and work from there. This also is an impressive program

I know that I will be designing items for the indexer, not primarily editing existing models – so which is the best approach – I can swing the new version of Aspire or the Deskproto multi-axis, but I cannot do both.

Thanks
    don

It depends on your workflow. If you're already working in 3D and just need a way to carve the models you've made on your indexer, then get DeskProto. If you've got a lot of basically flat reliefs or 2D art that you want to wrap around cylinders, then stick with Aspire. But I don't see getting it to do guitar necks; you'll be pulling out a lot of hair...

Randall. I would love to see more training material on using the indexer. I use mine often but mostly to learn how to ? So far the only business related items I'v made are PVC finials for my signs.