Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Component help

Default Component help

This is a very basic question, but I get into the 3-d side of the Shopbot so seldom that I forget what I did the last time around. I just did this trim for our foyer window, using stock 3-d artwork from the VCarve Pro 9 software. However, now I have a sign project where I want to use a JPG image of knotty wood as a background,to give it a sandblasted look (using high density foam). I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn the JPG into a 3-d model. I've done it in the past with an older version of Aspire, but I'm stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I dont think you can create 3D from a bitmap in VCP. (I 'm not in front of my VCP computer)

Use your older version of Aspire and use the 'Create Component from Selected Bitmap' tool. The icon looks like 2 eagles.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady. That works. Can I import that component into CVP9 now, or will I have to do the job in Aspire. I ask because Aspire is right beside me on the laptop and CVP is at the shop. Thanks.

One suggestion.

Our most used routing material for this kind of work is PVC. HDU is too gritty and takes too much time to fill, sand and finish. It's too expensive and doesn't like screws. PVC is fast to paint and fabricate. I picked up a few .75 sheets last Friday for $100 each.

When cutting letters from this material, you can throw one across the shop and it won't break. Tough stuff.

Thanks joe. I'll keep that in mind for future signs.

you can have both Vcarve pro and Aspire on each computer. You are allowed to have up to 3 of each on different computers.

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    Thanks Brady. That works. Can I import that component into CVP9 now, or will I have to do the job in Aspire. I ask because Aspire is right beside me on the laptop and CVP is at the shop. Thanks.
    You'll have to create your component in Aspire and export it as STL. VCP doesn't let you import Aspire's relief format (.3DClip - although I wish it would). Pay close attention to the resolution of the STL.

You should first create your component/relief/texture in Aspire using at least 7x resolution, in an XY space no larger than is required to prevent the voxels from getting 'spread too thin'.

Then when you create the STL, choose a triangle resolution of .0001" - that should be fine enough to pick up the fine detail. The default .001 setting will most likely not be tight enough.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I ended up with this configuration because I recently had to replace the control board on the Shopbot. At the same time I upgraded to a new computer,. The new board came bundled with Vcarve, so that's all I loaded on the new computer. I've always use Aspire & didn't take the time to see what Vcarve lacked compared to Aspire. Normally I do 2d work on the CNC for job work. This is the first 3d job I've done since the upgrades. I think I'm going to upgrade Aspire to the latest version so I'll be caught up with technology, at least for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    You'll have to create your component in Aspire and export it as STL. VCP doesn't let you import Aspire's relief format (.3DClip - although I wish it would). Pay close attention to the resolution of the STL.

You should first create your component/relief/texture in Aspire using at least 7x resolution, in an XY space no larger than is required to prevent the voxels from getting 'spread too thin'.

Then when you create the STL, choose a triangle resolution of .0001" - that should be fine enough to pick up the fine detail. The default .001 setting will most likely not be tight enough.

-B

I checked into upgrading the Aspire version I have. I think it will make my life easier. For now I just used ''texture'' in the Vcarve program and it seemed to work pretty good for this job.

Turned out nice - Good job!

-B