Thread: Speeding...

Default Speeding...

Today I had the perfect storm for really cranking up the speed on my machine... I've got a production job cutting stacks of 1/2" Luan. The material is cheap so I figured this would be a great job for pushing the speed envelope.

Since more speed=more profit I figured I'd really throttle the machine up and see what it could do:

https://youtu.be/wnBVQkTIng4

That's 9 IPS full depth with a 3/8 compression. I'm going to cut the rest of it tomorrow and I may crank it up even further...

Looks good, nice to see the machine moving like that. I had a job a few years back cutting cabinet parts (same cabinet over an over) out of 500+ sheets of 3/4"MDF. Toward the end I was cutting at 10 IPS and the machine handled it fine. 3/8" compression, full depth less skin, then final pass all the way through. The rented dumpster filled up quickly with scrap and dust from the DC...
    Nat Wheatley
    Plymouth Custom Closets
    www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

I like the disco lights on there........lol
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Try matching your z speed to your xy and it will move even faster, it is slowing down for your tabs.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Yeah I noticed that, I'm still tuning it. I cranked up my ramp speeds a lot and I was able to shave 5 minutes off of a full sheet of these (there are 375 holes in each sheet)

The disco lights are functional, they're red when the tool is in motion, and solid blue when it's parked. It's a really handy visual indicator as I wear hearing protection when I'm in the shop.

That was going to be my response..... "Who tuned that machine? My Grandmother?"

As far a speed goes, maximum speed or cutting speed, the real question is: What tolerance to the vector can be maintained at a given speed?

If you can cut that fast and the parts are .015 or .020 under/over sized, what's the benefit?
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I knew you'd be in here sooner or later Gary!

So tolerance isn't a issue on this job... These are sorting trays that kids were making with hole saws previously. Tolerance on this job is +- an 1/8th of an inch so speed is the priority. I'd never cut furniture or other nice stuff like this.

when cutting these rectangles in luan that don't need to be perfect I cut 4ips with a 1/16" downcut end mill in 1/8" in one pass.

In case anyone was wondering the SB3 software limits you to a top cut speed of 12 IPS.