Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3d printer

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reid View Post
    Dear Rob

I'm not going to get involved with 'who's is the biggest or best', but.. When I bought our first 3d printer, I got it second hand and at a bargain price. And if I were to do it again I would have asked myself the following.

- How to Choose Between Cartesian and Delta 3D Printers
    https://www.fargo3dprinting.com/choo...a-3d-printers/

- Heated bed or not!
    http://bootsindustries.com/heat-bed-3d-printing/

- Filament
    http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2015/7/...inter-filament
    http://3dprintingfromscratch.com/com...ypes-overview/

- You'll need design software
    https://www.dobot.cc/resource/top-15...beginners.html

- You'll need slicing software
    What is slicing software and what does it do?
    https://www.goprint3d.co.uk/blog/wha...at-does-it-do/

- Is there a user forum and manufacturer support?

You won't know this when you buy it, but how easy is it to clean out the nozzle. 3D printer filament must be kept clean, which can prove difficult in a wood cutting CNC environment. Any dust on the filament gets carried in and clogs up the nozzle.

Anyway best of luck, I'll watch this thread with interest. Please post when you've made your choice.

Sincerely
    Martin
    I'll spend some time going over these links this evening, thanks.
    This printer will be purchased to be used at my job, so it won't be setup in a woodshop.
    I do software development now, I still use my ShopBot for side projects and volunteer projects, but full time I'm an application developer for a creative marketing agency.
    At my job I'm given a $1200-$1500 a year training budget.
    This year instead of going to some lame conference to sit in meetings and breakout sessions and get pitched on the latest development framework hotness, I've requested a 3d printer for us devs to play with.
    A couple years ago I pitched (to my current company) the idea of doing a 3d AR app for our annual Christmas card, they accepted and we did it. Then in 2016 we made it a mobile game. I modeled the 3d characters for both, and created the animations for the characters.
    If you're interested to see, go to www.willymelt.com there are links to the both of these apps at the bottom of the page. (this year our creative department did a "where's waldo type thingy, they were sick of dev showing them up... it's not as cool.)
    So part of my 3d printer pitch is that we play with making the characters and possibly making a stop motion animation this year. Or creting these characters as lego characters, or something.

Anyone have any suggestions or updates on the original posters questions?

My post still stands!

Eric, would you recommend: Dremel - 3D40-FLX-01 DigiLab 3D40 Flex 3D Printer with Filament, Flexible Build Plate, Fully Enclosed Housing, Automated 9-Point Leveling, PC & MAC OS, Chromebook, iPad Compatible, Network-Friendly

for $1399 from Amazon?

That sounds like the one that I have and I really like it.

I think I’m leaning toward the Dremel 3D45. Is there anyone who can point out pros or cons of this model?

What do you plan on 3d printing? The Dremel is a good 3d printer with good reviews, but if you're planning on doing small, high rez prints and don't mind a little resin messiness you might look at the resin printers. FormLabs is the top of the heap among the "affordable" resin printers, but there are lots in the sub $500 range these days. The resolution is much better than the filament printers if you need it, but the tradeoff is they are generally smaller build size and you have to deal with resins that can be messy and smelly.

Bill

I would throw the Prusa Mini into the mix- build is only 7x7x7 but it really works for a $350-400 printer. I took one to the Keys and printed the whole month of February and love it. I print PETG.

Prusa i3 MK3 gets my vote. Had mine for about a year w/o any issues.
    I run mostly PLA & PETG on mine.
    Been extremely satisfied with their filaments and purchase most of mine from them. It’s only 3 day shipping from Prague.
    When I ordered mine they had several months delay in shipping so I kept my order with them and found a NIB on EBay and bought that one also. When mine finally came from Prusa I listed it on EBay and actually made a couple of bucks.

I wasn’t to happy with their mount for the filament ( kinda jerky motion as it unrolled) so I printed my own holder which is on ball bearing rollers and is very smooth when unrolling. Also printed a bracket for an Ott light I had around.
    Can’t seem to find a picture on my iPad so I’ll upload it when I get to my desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Rtibbs View Post
    Prusa i3 MK3 gets my vote. Had mine for about a year w/o any issues.
    I run mostly PLA & PETG on mine.
    Been extremely satisfied with their filaments and purchase most of mine from them. It’s only 3 day shipping from Prague.
    When I ordered mine they had several months delay in shipping so I kept my order with them and found a NIB on EBay and bought that one also. When mine finally came from Prusa I listed it on EBay and actually made a couple of bucks.

I wasn’t to happy with their mount for the filament ( kinda jerky motion as it unrolled) so I printed my own holder which is on ball bearing rollers and is very smooth when unrolling. Also printed a bracket for an Ott light I had around.
    Can’t seem to find a picture on my iPad so I’ll upload it when I get to my desktop
    Found my picture
    Attached Images Attached Images