Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Artcam is no more?

Yes, Adobe put their software like Photoshop, Lightroom on the subscription plan several years ago.

I already own VCP. My question is, does it nest and toolpath template similarly to that of artcam insignia? As mentioned before, I have not had an opportunity to use VCP at all since purchasing due to time limitations. So if anyone has experience with this feature please comment, otherwise continue your discussion not related to the topic at hand...

Do you have any DXF files of what you are using just open them and use the nest and see what it does

Quote Originally Posted by sawkerf View Post
    I already own VCP. My question is, does it nest and toolpath template similarly to that of artcam insignia? As mentioned before, I have not had an opportunity to use VCP at all since purchasing due to time limitations. So if anyone has experience with this feature please comment, otherwise continue your discussion not related to the topic at hand...
    First, you can't title a thread, "ArtCAM is no more?" and not expect people to chime in about exactly that subject.

Second - Are you serious right now? You mean to tell me that you OWN BOTH but are too lazy to try your own comparison, using your type of parts with settings only pertinent to what YOU would use? Who on earth would be more qualified to demonstrate the differences between the two than yourself? Maybe you can only rotate the part 90 or 180 deg as a stipulation because of grain direction, maybe you do or don't permit parts inside of other parts during nesting, etc etc...Maybe one program does one aspect just a little bit better than the other - NOBODY can answer that but YOU. Furthermore - the chances that someone owns both Insignia AND VCP are super slim...and in that minority, those who use nesting on a regular basis is even less.

Here's a thought - maybe, YOU could do the comparison and then come back here and share with the group your findings. Export your group of parts as an EPS from Insignia and import them into VCP. Then actually try nesting with similar settings for nesting and toolpath templates. Then you'll know all the answers you need to make an informed decision - and you can come back here an let us all know what you found out. What's it going to take 10-15min tops?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I almost never use it so am not very quick with it, but I do have VCP 8. I just opened it up, started a new model (48 x 96) and saw that down in Offset and Layout category there is a nesting icon.
    Given a few more minutes and a set of lines already done I could determine whether I liked the way it nested them. Given a few more and I could figure out if it was efficient to toolpath them.
    What I can tell you is no-one can give you a comparison without even using the same version of software as you. That is because the individual features are also tweaked and modified over time. I always self nested by drag and drop or cut and paste from my part library but the other time killer can be efficient toolpathing over many sheets. When I finally decided to upgrade AC I didn't like the way it did certain things when bringing in vectors that were already on layers I liked and after working with Cust ser there they changed it and made my work much more efficient. The cost to me for that upgrade in useability was annual maintenance which came with a full annual upgrade. It made sense at that time by increasing my productivity when laying out and toolpathing the project. But then, as far as making large numbers of cabinet parts, it pretty much did everything I needed. Further maintenance wouldn't have made much sense, just like buying a new pick-up truck because the headlights had little LED's around them wouldn't. The improvement just doesn't make the truck do more! I am really sorry that Autodesk killed AC, but I also expect that since the 2015 I own has so much in it that I still need to learn (as far as relief work goes) and the support base of users is there and likely will continue for quite some time, I can handle it.
    The two programs are similar enough that anyone adept at one can do basic work in the other in no time. There isn't much in cnc more basic than cabinet parts. Open up your VCP and try it.

At least there is a silver lining to this . The owners of vectric were employed by Delcam, left there and started vectric. They are responsible for some if not most of the software that was artcam and know the features and what they accomplished. I would expect that they would be bringing the good things to their product. I am not affliated with them in any way other than owning their software, I have been with them a long time, hosting their very first user conference. I know of no other company with the customer service they give, and they often throw in an upgrade for free every other year. Just saying, I can't imagine the amount of money that was robbed from Delcam, but i always look for the silever lining.

Bob

They let all their ArtCAM staff go - all the people who were there for many, many years - so much knowledge and skill down the tubes
    I'm happy to say that two of the most experienced ArtCAM developers let go by Autodesk have joined the team here at Vectric so hopefully the skills and knowledge won't be wasted.

Brian

Thank you Bob for that piece of good news! Keep up the good work, and I look forward to every new upgrade! Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Moran View Post
    I'm happy to say that two of the most experienced ArtCAM developers let go by Autodesk have joined the team here at Vectric so hopefully the skills and knowledge won't be wasted.

Brian
    Good to know, Brian.

Thanks again for making decisions that support small businesses!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default software

Nearly everything is the US of A is becoming a “rent to never own” business. The competition is bought out and those few shareholders become millionaires, the software is then discarded and the prices later go up for whatever is left over.

I think some countries just buy one copy of software for their entire nation.... Some “seats of expensive software” are used in two locations, half a world apart, so they can be use nearly 24 hours a day

Nice some of the ArtCAM staff have been picked up by Vectric.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....