Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with knowing the strength of two part epoxy

Default need help with knowing the strength of two part epoxy

Does anyone know of technical papers that document the strength of screws in 2 part epoxy? I'll need the data for a sign permit. The intent is to attach 72" z-clip rails ( the rails have screw holes) to 18lb hdu by drilling slightly oversized pilot holes for the screws into the hdu, filling the holes with the 2-pt epoxy and inserting the screw thru the z-clip screw hole into the 2-pt epoxy. I sent an email requesting the info to West Systems. Waiting their response.
    Thanks , Roy Shimp

I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the epoxy you will be using. They should have that data.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Roy,

You might consider contacting one of the HDU manufacturers since all of them recommend this kind of technique. Precision Board and SignFoam and Duna HDU would be some to contact.
    With HDU one of the considerations is it's density. Also, when we use this technique a burr is used to enlarge the bottom of the hole. That makes for extra holding power.

Joe

Thank you. how do you usually make a burr?

thank you, i'm waiting their replys

It might be stronger if you used threaded inserts into the HDU, instead of expecting the glue to hold the screw threads. You can glue in the inserts: https://www.ezlok.com/

Default West System Epoxy Test with Precision Board HDU

Not sure if this information is too late, but we had West System test our material to destruction using their Six10 Epoxy. The results are here: http://precisionboard.com/precision-board-test-report/.

We also have a page with tips for mounting HDU signs that you might find useful here: http://precisionboard.com/sign-makin...ard-hdu-signs/.

If you have more questions, you can always call our tech support team at 800-845-0745. Thanks!

A critical look at this question begs the point. The person asking that question wouldn't know what the proper answer is. I've been making application for sign permits in six cities and this must be the most weird question of all. But, the permit person has the control.

Few, if any, of the city officials I deal with know anything or are knowledgeable about stress loads on HDU. Not to mention about Epoxy. I would have to ask them what stress load they are looking for. It's a question posed by a slow thinker who is exercising their authority.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    A critical look at this question begs the point. The person asking that question wouldn't know what the proper answer is. I've been making application for sign permits in six cities and this must be the most weird question of all. But, the permit person has the control.

Few, if any, of the city officials I deal with know anything or are knowledgeable about stress loads on HDU. Not to mention about Epoxy. I would have to ask them what stress load they are looking for. It's a question posed by a slow thinker who is exercising their authority.

Joe
    THIS RIGHT HERE! Guy does not know the answer to his own question, rather than find out, they make the permitee do the leg work, come back with an answer of X, and THEN they look at their book and say, “That is not the right spec. You need to start over.”

“Well, what should it be?”

“I’ll let you know when you bring in the correct numbers.”

50% of the city employees work and the other half are just waiting for their pensions to kick in.

Sorry for the rant, but I have been dealing with city permitting lately and this is exactly how these guys work in my town. They don’t even bother with actual specifications, they just say “No.” when anything new appears so they won’t have to do any work. Then you spend all your time researching and finding out that things are within the rules. You go back with the info and then they are really upset because you proved them wrong and so they put more obstacles in your way.

Roy…

“Thank you. how do you usually make a burr?”

Here’s a cross section of a hole that’s been undercut with a “burr” its purpose is to add mechanical strength to the plug of epoxy by making the bottom of the hole larger than the top. Typically a file type rotary bit, referred to as a burr, is chucked in a drill or Dremel type tool and hand wallowed around to create the undercut profile.
    SG

Attached Images Attached Images