Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to wood

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Rob,

Donation are out of bounds for us commercial fellows. It's always been an issue on this forum. So many people buy a shopbot and think about doing signs as a hobby. With little knowledge of layout, design, proper materials, installation requirement, permits or understanding the architecture of fonts, they jump right in, muddy the water. O well, I've spent 37 years in this trade and am always amazed.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com
    That doesn't really answer the question.
    So I assume because I mentioned I was doing a donation, you choose not to answer it?
    That is certainly your choice.
    Weird, but whatever.

I'll leave you with these, some of my more favorite projects from my 30 years of custom signage design and fabrication:

https://www.facebook.com/rob.william...5403642&type=3

Rob. Pages not available is what I get. I'm not registered on Facebook, so I suppose that's why. Here's another non-wood project. 2" HDF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    Rob. Pages not available is what I get. I'm not registered on Facebook, so I suppose that's why. Here's another non-wood project. 2" HDF.
    Yeah, you'll need to be a FB member and logged in to see those pages.
    There's a good mix of wood, metal, hdu, neon and fiberglass work in there along with some solid surface.

Most of these projects I've posted pictures of here over the years, but I don't know if the various blog updates kept them.

Rob Get a good Acrylic latex paint but scuff it up just a little if you have a paint store nearby they can steer you in the right direction Most of the time Joe just looks down at everybody unless your special you and I must not be one of them sometimes donations end up paying very well in the end Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark_stief View Post
    Rob Get a good Acrylic latex paint but scuff it up just a little if you have a paint store nearby they can steer you in the right direction Most of the time Joe just looks down at everybody unless your special you and I must not be one of them sometimes donations end up paying very well in the end Mark
    My machine came to me via an unusal route. Now that I don't do this full time, I like to pay it forward, so to speak, in this case it's an older subdivision my ex sister in law lives in where nobody really keeps up the place, and she and a couple of the neighbors have decided to reach in their pockets and make new entrance signs.
    I just figured since I can, and I have the expertise, I'd help and make it for them. I've finished PVC before with automotive primer and two stage acrylic paint, but never the broken or routed surface. Plus I don't have the luxury of a paint booth anymore since I've moved on to developing and programming and no longer maintain a professional shop.
    Errybody is special in their own way... even Joe

I've managed to steer clear of Facebook so far. I spend too much time on forums as it is. I'm 65 and trying to push one more year of hard labor past my aging self, then slow down, but not stop. I really enjoy the sign business, but I do admit I'm looking forward to doing it when I want to rather than when I have to. One more non-wood project with HDF.

I've managed to steer clear of Facebook so far. I spend too much time on forums as it is. I'm 65 and trying to push one more year of hard labor past my aging self, then slow down, but not stop. I really enjoy the sign business, but I do admit I'm looking forward to doing it when I want to rather than when I have to. One more non-wood project with HDF.
    Very nice...
    When I closed my shop, I kept all my tools and equipment.
    My goal being to retire eventually and build birdhouses and festival crafts... Really kick ass birdhouses...

My only bird house build to date is this post-tornado unit, (notice the house number). Didn't use the ShopBot for this. I made it out of scrap PVC left over from rebuilding the house and then did a digital wrap on the walls.

My only bird house build to date is this post-tornado unit, (notice the house number). Didn't use the ShopBot for this. I made it out of scrap PVC left over from rebuilding the house and then did a digital wrap on the walls.
    That’s a pretty kick-ass birdhouse.

Rob, I use Facebook, and when I looked at your links, I got to your page, but there was a message on all links that said, "
    Sorry, this content isn't available right now
    ".

Pro70Z28, what is your rainbow sign made from? You said it was made from HDF. What is that? Is it HDU? If so, what density did you use?

Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5