Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to wood

Nice job on the Lost Creek sign. I have a couple redwood signs out back by the shop entry that have been there for nearly 30 years. Still solid and look as good as the day I finished them. I used opaque stain, seems to hold up well.
    I cut these letters out of PVC and applied mylar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's another non-wood project I did awhile back. Built a DIY English Wheel

Few More.......

......and the last ones.

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    I've been looking through some of the projects here and it got me to wondering if anyone is using the ShopBot to make things out of materials other than wood.
    I attached one of a few I've done, hopefully others will follow with projects of their own.
    Anything other than a wood product is game for this thread.
    That's nice work. Would you share Bits, feeds and speeds?

I shared some some power valve guides here.

I also made a boat console out of extruded PVC to replace a rotted wooden one on my pontoon boat. Can't seem to find pics...
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

It's been awhile since I did that project, so I don't remember what the settings were. I would guess the cut depth would have been around .005" to .010" and speeds on the slow side, probably 1" per second give or take. I've also cut 3/16" plate steel with the ShopBot. That is an even slower process. .005" or less cut depth and probably .5 XY speed MAX, I used water soluble cutting oil to keep the bit cool. Not really practical from a labor standpoint, but this was a personal project, so doing it in house was part of the fun.

Thanks! That's pretty damn awesome. I noticed the big meat in the youtube video and felt all inadequate lol. A billet head for my freestyle jet ski is in my future.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Thanks khaos. Yea, they are some big meats. 33''x22.5''x15''.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Gary,

Excellent thread.

For us we use products that will last outdoors. However the ease of use is very important. Now days PVC is our primary substrate but it's not too good for 3d work. Let me give a shout-out for Redwood and Cedar. Some of these are twenty years old and still holding up well. However wood needs more re-paints than does PVC or HDU.

Thanks again for your post.

Joe

hey joe,
    Im about to embark on a neighborhood entrance sign(s) project. I’m going to do woodgrain carving into 1/2 pvc with another layer of 1/2” pvc for the border and letters.
    I plan to use 1/2” pvc that HD near me sells in 4’x8’ sheets. It’s easily available and this is a donation, so I need material I can get on a weekend.

how do you paint and finish your pvc signs? What primer and finish coat?

Rob,

Donation are out of bounds for us commercial fellows. It's always been an issue on this forum. So many people buy a shopbot and think about doing signs as a hobby. With little knowledge of layout, design, proper materials, installation requirement, permits or understanding the architecture of fonts, they jump right in, muddy the water. O well, I've spent 37 years in this trade and am always amazed.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com