Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alternatives to wood

Awesome work. Looks fun.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Thanks guitarwes. Just finished this HDU sign today. First job off the ShopBot using the new Aspire software.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent example leading the way of woodgraining PVC. The panel is well designed with colors that stand out. Aspire is a natural for PVC texturing.

Nope, that came out all wrong. What I was meaning to convey was how nice Gary's 3d panel came out. Not only is the carving done well but also the layout and colors chosen are excellent.
    At one time, many of us were carving HDU, like his, in 3d however because of the cost and difficulty to get a good smooth surface some of us have moved on the PVC. It needs no primers.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Thanks Joe. I've been getting away from HDU myself. I've had this piece stuck away on a shelf for awhile now and when this job came up, I knew it had found a home. Got it installed today between the raindrops. Good job to do today as most of the stores on that block are closed on Saturdays. All I have left now is smaller cut offs. I've been making plaques on the Laser Engraver with those. Posted a couple. The stuff is so expensive I feel I need to make use of as much as I can.

Gary,

Your last two panels are classic. Beautiful.
    Gees, did you need all that equipment to install the HDU sign? Impressive.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

I'm a 1 man sign shop, so that set up is my mechanical hired man. It has forks, back hoe, hydrostatic auger and a bucket, all built to fit the trailer. Over the years I've built a bunch of tools to go with it to make 1 man installations go smoother. Biggest back saver is an attachment for the backhoe that lets me grab posts. I have dropped 24' posts in the ground just flipping levers. The orange poles on the trailer are jigs I screw to the posts. I drop the 2"x4" cross braces in the pre-spaced hooks on the poles, screw the 2"x4"s down and remove the jigs. Big time saver, and they're spaced right every time. Trailer and truck are always loaded with everything I need to install signs. Just load the sign panels and framing material and go. The scaffolding I built several years ago to eliminate having to set up scaffolding by hand. Should have built it many years earlier in hindsight, as it makes life so much easier. It will go up 6' with the forks and 12' with the back hoe fork extension. That covers 99% of anything I install. I used to come home from building a billboard feeling like an old man (now I am one). It's so much easier to load all the heavy stuff on the platform and raise it with a hydraulic valve than to build the scaffold, then hoist it all up by hand, not to mention loading and unloading on site and back at the shop.
    Last edited by pro70z28; 07-21-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Gary very impressive ingenuity, and use of your equipment!

Once again you amaze me.

If there was one piece of equipment I wish I had purchased is a Bobcat. My installer has one and it keeps his business cooking with that and a large trailer to haul dirt. Thanks for posting. We need more fellows like you showing us how it's done.

Thanks Dish & Joe for the comments.