Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Processor Modification

Default Post Processor Modification

Does anyone know if you can modify shopbot post processors to control the retract speed? If yes, can you tell me what the command(s) are?

I'm wanting to control the retract speed when doing keyholes to prevent tearout when the bit comes up.

Thanks

Jim
    Jim

96 x 60 PRSalpha, 5HP Colombo spindle, Custom indexer, Custom vacuum table, Custom Fire Extinguishing System

Jim..
    The retract speed, which is rapid or jog speed, can be set at the control panel as "Z Jog Speed"
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Just a curious question, why are you getting tearout when retracting, when it's generally retracted in the same place as it entered? Most keyhole bits don't cut to well on the upstroke .
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Jim..
    The retract speed, which is rapid or jog speed, can be set at the control panel as "Z Jog Speed"
    Gary,
    Thanks very much. As always, you are a wealth of knowledge. That fixed my probelm.
    Perhaps you should start a consulting business and charge for answerssssss

Scott,
    In my world keyholes generally have a hole at both ends of the slot. It makes it much easier to hang whatever you're hanging. For this one specifically, it is something that I don't want to fall off of the fall if bumped, pushed or disturbed so the slot is shaped to prevent that from happening. The hole at both ends makes it much easier to install.

Jim

Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim

96 x 60 PRSalpha, 5HP Colombo spindle, Custom indexer, Custom vacuum table, Custom Fire Extinguishing System

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    Perhaps you should start a consulting business and charge for answerssssss
    Jim,
    I always admired your sense of humor! Very few blue machine owners are willing to pay for expert advice or professional consultation. Most would rather wallow in misery for months or years with a problem than pay to fix it. "Wow I wished I had you come out sooner!" Is the usual response for the few that do. You can't make a living supporting them and the number of large corporations with blue machines and a maintenance budget have dwindled...they either closed up or bought a real cnc.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

>> they either closed up or bought a real cnc.

Brady - What is a real CNC? The one I have appears pretty real to me.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

John...
    I can answer that question. A week or so a go you replied to a thread I started asking SB owners to give their opinion comparing ShopBot to other brands they had experience for. That information was intended to assist ShopBot going into the future.

When asked: "How Do You Feel ShopBot Compares to Machines You See Advertised Today in it's Price Class?"

You replied: "There is no "not applicable" or "no experience" answer here so I had to abort your survey."

That was exactly the point, to remove the "unqualified opinions from those that admitted not having experience with other brands."

I would propose that your question to Brady would not have been asked if you had experience seeing how many of the others are built, how stable the control systems are, and how they run in comparison to yours.

All brands go thru cycles of ups and downs when compared to their competitors, SB has obviously been in a down cycle for quite a while now.

Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Gary, ok, so you succeeded in talking down to me but left the question unanswered.

I have no problems with stability. My machine has run nearly perfectly for over five years. I have had ZERO problems with the control software. Accuracy is excellent and repeatable. Maintenance costs are very low and affordable. The only time I have ever had an abort during a process is because of a external causes like power failure or fluctuation.

So to me, the machine fits my mission and I'm satisfied with it. No point in looking at others.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

John...
    I had no intent on talking down to you, and since you interpreted my comments that way, I apologize.

That said, I was trying to point out that you may have asked that question because you didn't know the other side, which I stall believe is true. Over the last few years as a consultant I have collected a lot of data for a number of CNC companies. Companies NEED to know that those survey numbers are qualified before making decisions that affect their future.

Forget brands, lets talk about spindle vs. router. In reality a couple hundred dollar hand held router should not be compared to a 3 phase industrial rated spindle motor. Yet they are, every day. So given my 5 level answers to "which is better, spindle or router": with one being: 1) A lot worse, 2) A little worse, 3) about the same, 4) a little better , 5) A lot better, around 65% answer "about the same or a little worse". If you use only answers from those that have actually owned both, the answers were over 95% "A lot better". Two totally different numbers. If you were a decision maker wouldn't you want to know both sets of number?

Back to the survey I mentioned above. In almost every category, the overall average was ~1/3 "performs as expected". You are in that group. No issues and lives up to your expectations. According to survey data you are in the minority. If "Performs as expected", "Slightly better", and "Much better" are combined the responses never get to 50%. That is across 6 comparative categories. And if you count those that use them in their business the numbers are much lower.

The writing seems to be on the wall. In an exponentially expanding CNC market our friends are losing market share. A share of the market they once "owned". A shame. I would propose the following statements. Only able to be verified if this post, which is not flattering to folks that are good people, stays on this forum.

I propose, and this is radical, that ShopBot will not survive the next 5 years IF:
    1) They do not offer a viable computer to compliment their control system to aid thousands of past purchasers
    2) That if they remain with a USB connection going forward
    3) They don't swap to Gcode to be compatible with currently produced hardware.
    4) They don't produce a full welded frame using linear rails
    5) Don't offer a menu of control features and machine options that simply match what the other 150 brands sold in the US do
    6) Don't do all of the above, while lowering their prices.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

“Gary, ok, so you succeeded in talking down to me…”

HA HA HA HA!!!
    Oops… sorry.

Interesting… I’ve done things with my PRT Alpha that “big iron” guys only dream about!

With the plethora of CNC routers now available to hobbyists, many under $1,000, suddenly ShopBots aren’t considered “real”! I must ask, “Who thinks they aren’t real!” My own answer comes down to “those who are running heavy iron machines… that cost multiple times as much, require a rigging company to set-up, require 3-phase power, a forklift to manage input and output and sales department to keep it busy! Who is impressed with my ShopBot? Anyone with a “low-cost” machine with plastic components, MDF frames or NEMA 17 steppers!

It's not uncommon for an individual or business to "outgrow" their machine... A crafter gets more work than his smaller machine can keep up with or cabinet shop can't keep up with demand using their middle size tool. These are good problems! Rather than be upset that such and so brand tool can't do the job, recognize a tools limitation and be glad it got you to the point where you need something else! The tool you buy is often determined by your volume of work... You likely can't afford to keep a heavyweight machine that's sitting idle!

SG