Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Processor Modification

Tom et al,
    The NUC has proven to be a great computer as a front end for a few CNC controllers I have tested, although none were USB. It would be small enough to fit into an Alpha control box & possibly an RBK sized box. Both of these boxes should have a cooling fan on them and filtration. I never understood the reluctance towards good cooling and filtration. The sheet metal sinks are not enough. I can't count the number of Alpha boxes south of the Mason-Dixon line I've personally seen that just leave the control box doors open because they get too hot - mostly because the motor contactors overheat and don't work. A shop I visited in Miami just took the Alpha control box door off completely(!)

A number of competitors bundle the computer and controls into the same box...so doing so wouldn't be revolutionary or radical. Furthermore, from a support standpoint, hardware/pre-loaded software of consistent/known quantity would seriously reduce variables for techs in your building AND save a ton on support costs. It is also completely possible to 'dial in' to the control box having the issue using something like TeamViewer - which in fact is the very thing used by a number of your competitors. If the user messes with the config to the point where it is counterproductive - you could remotely reset it back to factory specs if required - now how cool would that be? This was suggested a number of times over the years - usually with great empathy for SB support staff...(seriously)

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

tomhartnett Guest

There are pros and cons with any operating system, including Linux.

The main problem with Linux is it can't run the SB3 software which was built/originated on Visual (Visual Basic) before Linux was was an OS, and the SB3 software was always intended to be familiar and accessible to all kinds of people. So for SB3 users, Windows will be a reality for us for the foreseeable future. Our responsibility has to be to serve up an easy way/pre-made platform (computer) that will work with minimal frustration/complication to the user. To me, currently, there is an excess of frustration to accomplish this and that is why all of these options are being thrown out about what needs to be done.

Coming in the future/the move away from Windows - is on the way, this is the FabMo controller which can be accessed from any operating system.
    And for those of us who will remain with SB3, providing a PC and/or low frustration process to get the PC in a state that is not going to cause problems should be a great option.

“Like what, Steve? What is it your PRT able to do that a 20hp ATC machine with 4 Becker vacuums can't do?”

Nothing, of course… however it’s not practical for a shop that turns out cabinet components all day, stopping to do curved mullions or grills, oval picture frames and very small step and repeat plastic parts. At least for those that have called on me in the past… likely they don’t have non-cabinet specific design software or if they do, no one knows how to use it!
    SG

My NUC has been running my Bot smoothly for a number of years… before that, I used a naked motherboard that I occasionally blew the dust off with an air hose, that ended abruptly when I was cutting some di-bond (composite aluminum). ☹

>> The main problem with Linux is it can't run the SB3 software

A complete re-write of the software is called for. That is not overly complex nor out of the realm of possibility. It happens all the time in the software industry. There aren't that many features in the SB software that make it impossible or even that costly. The job could easily be outsourced too. The entire thing could be written to support a browser interface as well, making it a server project with no UI. Interface to the outside world would be wifi.

Look at how many other products do the exact same thing. This is not only doable, it is simple, robust and has been done in hundreds of other products. People could control their CNC with a smartphone, laptop, desktop or any device with both a wifi and browser.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

tomhartnett Guest

The in-development FabMo controller will address these concerns and is entirely a rewrite. for those who will remain on SB3, windows will remain a reality. The upgrade path will be to FabMo, which can be controlled with their smartphone, laptop, desktop, any device as you mention.

Well, FabMo sounds promising and runs (curiously enough) under Linux.

As someone who is actually entirely satisfied with the existing setup, I would probably wait until the FabMo is totally and 100% working on many machines before even considering upgrading. Perhaps by that time, I will have moved to another shop in the great beyond.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Tom...
    Crusty ol fart here...from Missouri, the "show me" state. (not really) That means that along with being old and thinking that people actually want to hear what I have to say, I also have been around long enough to know that when its "all said and done", in the ShopBot world, there is much more said than ever gets done.

You say:
    "I've been with ShopBot for just about 3 years now, working with not only tech support but just about every department and know that everyone here is dedicated to making the best product we can."

I agree. And a good number of great folks there in Durham. That said, the annals of history are populated those that have failed doing their best while others have succeeded. Success in most cases is more related to a companies performance compared to their competition than an internal judgement that "we have done our best". Our assessment is irrelevant, the world votes with its checkbook.

You also say:
    "
    from day one the number one issue i have addressed has been communications issues - ultimately 90 percent or more of them are related to the computer."

I agree to that also. That said, If ShopBot was really interested in fixing this issue for the thousands that have experienced it, they would have:
    1) Digitally signed driver package that the Windows OS doesn't perceive as malicious.
    2) A driver that sets SB hardware as USB 2.0 or greater
    3) An overpriced (sic) computer solution that was bulletproof for commercial users
    4) An extensive set of written and video instruction that shows how to both select the proper computer and then change the settings to prep the computer for proper control use. (Like the competition does)

FYI, I proposed these exact things during my tenure at the company, so, good luck with your well meaning endeavor, but I feel, like mine, it will go nowhere. It will go nowhere because "the next great thing" (read as Fabmo in this case) will solve this. Personally I have heard this for over 6 years and have adopted a "I will only believe that when I see it" mentality.

You say:

"Often times i felt like customers probably just thought 'oh here they go again blaming some problem on the PC that they don't know how to fix".

I would propose: Why wouldn't they think that? It has been happening for ~15 years and has affected thousands and has driven hundreds to other brands. The domino theory says these hundreds have told thousands of their issues.

So, other than pages of apologetic well meaning statements from SB employees and an overwhelmed tech support department expressing the same, is there any evidence in the real world that users could interpret as the problem was being resolved? A global solution?

My God, man. This should have been fixed when it showed up over a decade ago. So as someone that has purchased (at todays prices) over $63,000 of SB products and attempted for years to make a living, along with over a hundred service call, I vote: too little, too late!

Like I used to tell my kids: You don't have to tell me how hard you work or how good you are, It will be obvious, and everyone will know.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

tomhartnett Guest

If there ever was a time to act, that time is now, Gary. And I can assure you that at least some of this is being worked on by myself.

I can't address the old issues of not having the digitally signed driver/driver issues - as yes I do believe when it comes to this, it's all hands on deck for Fabmo eliminating these issues - and I can't speak to what it once was like. But I can tell you that at least in terms of addressing the problem today, it's something that we in support want done and have been working on.

And I do wholly believe we have the solution in a simple standalone device - and in the instruction sets I have developed in my time here. Written documentation was useful in this regard but not always 100% effective and it is because of this that I have ventured into video. As a show of the work I am doing, here are links to the two of the videos I made at the end of March on setting up a USB to get your PC clean installed - https://drive.google.com/open?id=19m...4w8J2JinHOJri3

The link is just showing the windows 7 and 8 version of this, there is a windows 10 version as well as accompanying videos on how to clean install, setup the SB3 software, connect, install firmware, etc... with the idea that it will be bulletproof (as bulletproof as user instruction can be).

I don't disagree with you Gary, and I agree that if we don't take action we won't make it very far.

Tom...
    Thank you for standing like a man and debating this unflattering issue in public. You are unique among your peers. "Official" company presence has been sorely missed on this forum.

Guys like Brady and myself (among many others) wish nothing but the best for our friends at ShopBot. Not from a brand loyal "everything ShopBot does is the best" perspective, but from the perspective of a "first love". You NEVER forget your first.

As a pragmatist, I watch from the wings, waiting on results, not words.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

tomhartnett Guest

Stay tuned... (words engraved on my tombstone) - I do plan on remaining more active on here as I branch into videos/documentation for the future.
    I do appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts.