Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Post Processor Modification

Brian,

Quick question - is there, or will there ever be, a ShopBot hardware upgrade path for my 2009 PRS/Alpha? Controller, drivers, rails, etc. to make it more stable and eliminate the comms errors that plague so many of us. Thanks! I know the software upgrade path, right now, has me locked in to 3.6 version because I use SBLink A LOT in my business.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

The new gantry (with ground linear rails/bearings instead of V-wheels) is available as an upgrade to your tool. You'd receive a new gantry and new YZ car. It would drop onto the table that you already have for your tool. The alpha control box that we sell right now is essentially the same as your control box--however when a new control card is released for alpha tools, it will be able to plug into your interface board--which would let you make use of the new software (you'd even be able to swap back and forth by swapping the card if you needed the SBLink support...as mentioned above there has not be any work done with Thermwood to make SBLink more than a windows/sb3 exclusive program.)

Quote Originally Posted by brian.owen View Post
    The new gantry (with ground linear rails/bearings instead of V-wheels) is available as an upgrade to your tool. You'd receive a new gantry and new YZ car. It would drop onto the table that you already have for your tool.
    Cost? I've got a 96x60 table with 2.2hp spindle. E-Chains on X and Y.
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

It'd be around $4600 plus shipping.

Also some extra clarification for Jr Lee's question about SBLink--part of the deal that with Thermwood was that SBLink would only work with SB Control boxes that were sold with SB tools. If you're taking the control box off of your SB and putting it on another tool--it should work fine. A new control box purchased on its own would not work.

Hello, I just wanted to let everyone know that we at Thermwood have decided to discontinue the Shopbot link. We are selling our remaining links at half price, there will be no additional updates or support for these discounted links.

Patrick Dauby
    THERMWOOD
    Manager of Demonstrations and Software Sales

I've been keeping up with this thread from the beginning and have thought about what I would have to say on the whole subject. I'm not anywhere near as eloquent as Gary and Brady (thus my tardiness/reluctance), but I would echo all that has been said so far. SB was my "first love" as well and without them I would likely have not gotten into CNC as soon as I did or possibly not at all (blame them for the addiction ;-). I've been driving one around and been a member of the SB community for 18 years now. I started with a '00 PRT 4896 and now have a '07 PRSAlpha 4896. Over that time, I have had my share of issues, but have always worked through them in one way or another. I have ran/tested just about every version over that time. Sad to say, the old DOS version was the one that probably worked the best from a reliability standpoint. I've had times with SB3 where comm issues were non existent and times where they were a daily issue. SB3 is old and bloated, has always had connection issues, handling of motion control could be greatly improved, and then there's the GUI. I can understand taking pride in having your own control software, but there's a point where it has become your greatest hindrance and is crippling the brand. As has been stated, there are solutions by capable companies that specialize in providing what is needed while new and improved products could be focused on. Yeah, it won't run SB code, but that's a minor hurdle that only affects current users and many of those likely never dig into the code to do any special edits to it and those that do are likely to be more than capable to switch over to G-code and do the same. Pretty simple to start using a different Post Processor these day's. I currently run 3 different ones, one for SB, one for UCCNC, and one for FabMo (actually two for FabMo, one legacy SB and one G-code).

On the subject of FabMo, I have been working with it since it was first able to be used and was initially kind of excited about it and as it was updated, it got better and more usable. The new G2 motion control with FabMo is great, that's one good thing. Over the last 3-4 years though, the GUI has gone from usable but quirky to kind of nice and usable to as of the most recently released version being one of the worst so far. So, Brian, when you say... "The most recent software release was a big step forward from where it was (GUI-wise)" ...you must be using something different than what I'm seeing! A keypad that still doesn't work right and useless DRO's that are either to small or cover other elements when expanded. The need to click twice to activate other items or menus. Keypad motion that stutters. No ability for hotkeys.....

Input/suggestions as to GUI improvements on the GitHub site have seemingly gone ignored or whatever. It's leaning more mobile app than usable desktop/PC interface, which is a mistake when it comes to production use in a shop. It might be fine on a handibot or possibly on a desktop unit, but I just can't take it seriously for use on a larger gantry tool. Fine and dandy if you want to use a browser based app GUI with a phone or tablet, but you need to have a version that is PC/desktop friendly that is full featured. Much in the way that you see 'Use mobile site or desktop site".

It has gone on for so long now and the initial hardware used has become obsolete (so much for that stock pile of Edisons) that at the moment, I have pretty much lost interest in FabMo. I keep checking GitHub and plugging it in to check for updates to see if the GUI has improved and any bugs fixed, but then move on.

It would be nice for once to see a sense of urgency to address the controller/comm issues and do the right thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

On the SBlink situation....There ya go, more deadware. And oh, bet SB3/controller/support issues were part of that problem too. ?

On the hardware upgrade, does that include linear rails for the X or just YZ? Might want to clarify that.
    Scott

Scott,

The current Gantry tool still uses V-Rails for the X Axis. The greatest benefit from implementing linear rails was seen in the gantry and z axis--so that was what we chose to focus on. Upgrades are to the Y and Z axes.

FabMo GUI--Yes, I like the original manual control pad better...except for the fact that you couldn't pull it up mid-file for tool changes and there was no way to adjust the speed without digging into the config menu. The current control pad has that move speed slider which I've actually found really helpful--I can run the Z down at full speed to within 1/4" of my material and quickly shift the speed from 3ips to 0.25ips for fine adjustments...more useful than fixed move mode IMO. I don't like the DRO changes and I think that needs to go back to something like the previous version's display. I was pestering the software guys today about a minimalist interface for the tablet I'm putting on handibots--a DRO and manual keypad that is always up (and usable without hitting a "keypad" button first), along with a few canned homing routine buttons and a job queue on the side. For people who just wanna run the tool from their control pad and not mess with apps, I think it works better.

Quote Originally Posted by pdauby View Post
    Hello, I just wanted to let everyone know that we at Thermwood have decided to discontinue the Shopbot link. We are selling our remaining links at half price, there will be no additional updates or support for these discounted links.

Patrick Dauby
    THERMWOOD
    Manager of Demonstrations and Software Sales

Oh man that sucks! I use SBLink regularly in my business. Now what?
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    Oh man that sucks! I use SBLink regularly in my business. Now what?

Start it up and use it just like you have every time prior to today. They didn't say they were going to repossess them.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein