Quote Originally Posted by Joe Porter View Post
The click you hear and can feel is due to backlash in the motor gearbox. This the Oriental Tapered Hobb motor which ShopBot and others say can be adjusted, I have tried and can't seem to find the sweet spot between zero lash and loading up the gears. This is from Oriental's website, this should give you an idea of what is going on. http://www.orientalmotor.com/stepper...gearheads.html as far as the scarring on the pinion shaft, I would just clean it up a little with a fine file (I didn't say to make a flat spot) just remove metal that may be raised on the shaft. If the key is damaged, do the same or get a new key. I hope this is of some help...joe
Thank You for the info. Today I realized, and not 100% sure how I feel or anyone else will, that the pinion set I received is slightly bigger than the original. I practically have to hammer on the originals....these slide on with no problem. The set screws are in a different place...this is how I saw the difference. I pulled out my old set and cannot even test them out because they are so tight. There are protruded burr areas on the motor shafts where the set screws have damaged them. I don't know if it's normal for pinions to vary in size like this, but it's evident that the force of the machine is primarily on the set screws. In addition there are damaged areas inside the pinions from the shaft slipping I guess. Just thought I'd share. I'm hoping that my motors don't need replacing.