Thread: Load Reactor

Default Load Reactor

A while back my 3ph Woods inverter died. I bought a new inverter. This one is a Vector Control Frequency Drive. The Vector control is capable of lower speeds than my old drive while maintaining good torque.
    Anyway my question is...
    I started tearing out the old inverter and then realized I have this inline power reactor in the old system. I looked it up on youtube and found this info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWbqNyyQ2kA

Is anyone out there familiar with this unit? It looks to me like as long as it's still functional (and it is) it would be good to just leave it installed? Seems to just be a filter to clean up the power?
    The spindle is a 3hp - 3ph Persky
    I did email Persky and asked if the Persky plays well with a vector control and they said, yes it does. Forgot to ask about the power reactor. I bought the Woods inverter, reactor and spindle about 20 years ago as a bundled package. Too much time has passed for me to remember the installation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Typically called "Line Reactors" by my supplier of them, they are used to "filter" or "condition" single or 3 phase current before and/or after a VFD to remove Noise from the system. Must be used when multiple VFD's are in use in a system. (like multiple CNC's or multiple spindles on 1 CNC). They are similar, in a way, to power line EMI filters, which look similar to sardine cans with terminals.

Line reactors, braking resistors and EMI filters are very common on most of todays CNC control systems.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Thanks Gary