Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit for 1.5” length of cut in 2x8

A friend had one of the first Max's out, and since it didn't match any of my pics...he called Frank.
    ZProx just didn't look like it, BUT it was there(see first 2 pics).
    So pretty sure yours does also.
    Make sure that in VN , limit switches are turned on.
    In TS (Tool Setup), make sure you checkmark the box "I have Z-prox"

That also changes the Z-Zeroing routine so that it double taps the plate,retracts to SB3 safe Z pullup and pauses,retracts to upper Z limit switch, then goes down .125"....MUCH better for installing dust foot then, and reasonably sure you wont hit material or clamps.

MUCH more reassuring when you know the machine won't top out, and will simply Stop if your setting are wrong
    scott

Oh..ignore the other settings in VNpic...from this laptop that has never touched the machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks Scott. You are correct. I have the Z Prox and when I raise the spindle up to near its limit, the switch triggers input 3. However, in Shopbot setup I do not have an option for telling SB3 that I have a Z Prox. I also discovered that in VN Limit checking was off and only switch 3 (for Z) shows NRM Open Limit, the rest say Standard Switch. My understanding is that all of the limit switches are connected in parallel to input 3, so that should be fine. My XY limit routine works fine, so I assume the machine can see those limits. Not sure why I don't have the option to tell SB3 that I have Z Prox.

Just FYI, Centurion Tools has a 1/2" spiral bit with a 1/2" shank with a 1.5" length of cut. Works great for me for 2X stuff and is not as long as some of the other bits.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Not sure
    Maybe because all Max's have it, it's defaulted?
    Shouldn't think that would be it though.
    Does Z-Zero routine run like I described?
    If not, and no option for Z prox is in TS, then maybe get machine started/phone charged/ and call Tech?
    When in keypad, and press and HOLD arrow up key for Z...it should simply Stop if prox is working.
    Only way to hit a hard stop on our two Desktops, is if arrow key is "Tapped"...then it can hit the prox, but subsequent tapping can cause it to go by the prox.
    Sorry not more help
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

tomhartnett Guest

It's slightly hidden in SB3 as it becomes part of the my_variables file and not the usual .ini file that stores our other settings (like switch modes). AND, we changed the way it was displayed in SB3 version 3.8.44 where it doesn't appear in [TS], so if you have 3.8.44 or newer, ignore the next part and skip ahead:

You'll find it under Tools->ShopBot Setup, in the first step with the check boxes you should find the Z prox setting like in the 4th picture of Scott's post.

Newer SB3 version - it gets loaded with the MAX setting file when you select it upon install or [UR] so you don't have to tell it specially that you have one, since it is a default on all the DT tools.

-Tom H.

Scott: The machine now stops when the Z prox is reached. However, the Z-Zero routine just stops at Safe Z, so the control software clearly doesn't think the Z prox is there. I will keep debugging. Perhaps I need to completely uninstall and reinstall the software. I just installed the latest version yesterday, but did not uninstall before doing so.

With a 1.5" length of cut can you cut down a little lower than 1.5", assuming the bit extends from the collet a bit more? I tried to look this up, but could not find a clear answer.

tomhartnett Guest

All depends on the the edge length and the type of cut, if the CEL ends at 1.5" and you try to cut 1.51" of material at a time you're pretty much guaranteed to break that bit, but if you don't cut more than 1.5" at a time you certainly could exceed that depth of cut (until you hit the collet or head). This can be bad practice as the chips will not clear as well (again depending on the type of cut).

A kind of easy way to think about it, you can drill a 3" deep hole with a router bit that only has 1" of CE but 3" of overall exposed length, but you can't then move in the XY direction and cut that much material, but you could pick up the router, move it over and drill another 3" deep hole, repeat it and eventually you would have a shape or your cut complete.

this thread kinda does OK at talking about it: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/archi.../t-152755.html

-Tom H.

Tom: Thanks for the clarification. Should the Z zero routine still stop at about 1/2" above the z zero plate, or should it continue to max Z and then lower as Scott mentioned above?

If you make multiple passes you can cut deeper than the CEL as long at the passes are not deeper than the length from the bottom of the collet to the end of the bit.
    I haven't broken a bit yet. If you cut full depth in 1 pass, then no, you can't cut deeper than the CEL.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!