Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stepper motor

Default Stepper motor

Where is the best place to get a stepper motor for my shop bot? Thanks, JJ

Hopefully the picture is attached

58963620-931A-4B8F-83B0-49C94D4A37BB.jpg

ShopBot is the best place - or one of us has a used one.

BUT...I'd put money on a loose connection or faulty motor driver before the motor. They rarely go bad.

With the control box off - swap that motor with another one and see if it works as expected on another channel (X for Y & Y for X etc) and if the other motor acts the same as this one when swapped.

You'll want to let the motors swing freely when doing this.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I thought I had a bad stepper a few months ago. Motor would chatter and run erratic. Turned out to be a driver on the control board.

Thanks for the info. It does work. The problem is it’s noisy. I was thinking about turning apart and seeing if I could fix it but figured a new one would be best. Has anybody ever rebuilt one? Thanks, JJ

Does it make the same noise when plugged into a different motor channel or when plugged directly into the board (bypassing the extension cable itself)? sometimes noise can be related to the motor or gearbox but it would more often be the driver, driver channel or motor cable.
    (always plug/unplug with power off )

-Tom

I’ll give that a try, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    I thought I had a bad stepper a few months ago. Motor would chatter and run erratic. Turned out to be a driver on the control board.
    How did you fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by John Jaquet View Post
    How did you fix it?
    That depends on which component it is. When it comes to the motor assembly there are at least 4 components - motor, motor cable (including connectors), driver, control board channel - that need to be considered and can be ruled out by swap tests like what Brady mentioned with the connection on the board.

So if you start the swap test at the connection on the board, here is the basic flow of testing -
    X1 has the suspected issue - issue could be any of the components
    X2 has no issue - will function as our swap axis
    Power off, unplug X1 and X2 at the board, swap and power back on.
    Depending on result you have now eliminated two of the four possible components.
    If X1 still has issue - issue is motor or cable. swap cable with X2 to find out
    If X2 now has issue - issue is driver or control board

If the issue is the driver or control board your options on how to test/fix are going to vary based on your control system. If you have physical drivers it is easy enough in most cases to swap them, if they are chips on the control board then you may be able to use an unused channel on the board, but otherwise the older generation boards with chips on the board - like 3.xx and earlier versions - no longer have drivers made for them and can't be repaired by SB, you'd have to upgrade the controller.

Us guys at support@shopbottools.com handle swap tests often so feel free to email in with the issue/info.

-Tom

Bad news is after swapping cables my motor is fine. Did all swap test including cables, all ok. Looks like I need a controller. Mine is version 3.51. Do you agree? Thanks, JJ

Driver. Not control board. Easy swap out.
    Call SB Monday morning with all the model info handy and they'll send you one out.