Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First large sign job

Wish I had a nickle for every time I was told we couldn't sell signs at that price.

I took a quick look at sign prices in your area. Check this out. http://discountwoodsigns.com/SandblastedSigns.html

Joe is your hourly rate that high because you outsource your CNC work?

Eric,

The major reason I outsource much of my work is to save money.

My strong suite is finishing, drawing, concepts and sales. Once upon a time I used post hole diggers too. Not long after I gave up on that practice I employed others to run the router.

Your question exposes your lack of knowledge about the going rate for this kind of work. Perhaps you should look at the national pricing guide.

I don't recall claiming to have any knowledge about sign pricing so you haven't "exposed" me. I was asking a question to help the original poster get to the answer he's looking for. He's got a CNC and you don't.

Like many similar businesses the equipment you own vs what you outsource can influence what your costs and how you price.

I'm in love with the craft of making signs. It's a vital service to my community but requires some creativity.When I started out, back in 1981, I did so as a full time sign fellow. I'd show up at the customers business with a drawing pad and pencil in hand. With a few suggestions from them the sketch would begin. I was ninety percent complete in a few minutes and pricing was done on the spot. I operate the same way today. When leaving their business the concept is fairly complete and they know what it's going to cost.

I've found this technique to be very efficient. O, I don't leave the drawings behind. Sure fun to make new friends this way.

We all know how much you like making signs Joe

Thanks for the commentary and opinions guys. I can always take lemons and try to make better lemonade going forward.

Thanks for the link Joe. I have no idea who that is or where he's from, but he look like he does good generic work.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

I think y'all may be taking Joe the wrong way.

He speaks right to the point but means No Disrespect and Loves to help Anyone wanting to create signs. He gives freely his pricing to help not to hurt. Lots of folks keep there pricing hidden.

I have never met Joe and only know of him from this forum but have grown to understand his passion about helping anyone.

Just my penny worth

Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

That's not been my experience in the past, and according to this thread I'm not alone.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...079#post191079

Read a page or two past that link. You'll see what I mean.

Thanks Tim,

I appreciate your kind words.