Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMT laser point bit...

Default CMT laser point bit...

SG
    Has anyone successfully had a 60° CMT 3 flute Laser point bit re-sharpened? I’ve landed up with quite a collection of dull ones over the years…

I tried a major sharpening service here in the Dallas metroplex and was terribly disappointed! I then talked with CMT and used the company they recommended… I think that company just farmed it out to the same disappointing service that ruined the first batch!

The bits come back with a point that’s anything but “Laser” and no longer concentric to the bit.

Is it unrealistic to expect this fantastic bit to be re-sharpened to its original glory?

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,

I've gotten to the point that resharpening bits just wasn't worth the expense, frustration and redefining tool diameters in the tool database (Aspire and SBLink). I just build in a couple of bits to eacg project to cover replacing bits. When doing a $25K - $30K kitchen, building in about $175 for bits is more of a rounding error for the project.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I have one of those bits and they are great. Send me a couple and I'll give it a try to sharpen them with my fancy machine. I have more patience and won't charge you anything except for half the bits you send me.

John Coryat
    220 Meadowgrove Ln
    Memphis, TN 38120

No guarantees but the price is right. What have you got to lose but one way postage?
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

John…

I sent you four…
    One was previously sharpened but not to a point!
    Let’s see how they do… there’s more where they came from!

SG

Steve,

Got your box today. One looks burned. Don't think I can do anything with that. The others look good though. Can't promise anything but I will do my best to restore them to their original usefulness. I have a new one to compare it to so I'll know what the results will be.

Wish me luck.

-John

p.s. Just got back from the Aspire camp in SC a few hours ago or i would have given one a try today.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Yup, the burned one is one that was “professionally” sharpened locally… I’ve got several more like it in my attempts to find someone able to restore the laser point.

I returned to one of the sharpening services to pick up some straight ½” 2-flute bits I needed cut off (I’d messed up and re-ran the screw hold down file after the screws had been installed…) The bits were sharpened, but not cut off. When I showed the sales person the clear instructions that were still with the bits, he said “Oh, Jesus speaks a little English, but can’t read a word”. They won’t see my face again!

SG

Steve,

I had pretty good luck with three of the bits. One was beyond hope as it was too chipped to restore the geometry. The one that appeared burned may be ok. I sharpened it. I'm sending two back, tossing the chipped one and keeping the second best. The top picture is the one that may have overheated. I think it's the one done by your local person. The one on the bottom is the best of the lot.

These are not perfect nor are the as good as new. They are A LOT better than before so perhaps they will do some good. I chucked up the best one and spun it by hand on a piece of Formica. Looked perfectly concentric.

It took me about five minutes per bit.

Here are some pix:

IMG_20180429_145830.jpg
    IMG_20180429_145011.jpg
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Oh my! Those look good! More coming!

SG

I’m sorry it took me so long to publicly comment on the sharpened V-bits… life gets in the way sometimes!

I finally got a chance to try a sharpened bit today and they cut very cleanly! While the bottom of the v had a slight flat spot, it cut clean without any fuzzy debris hanging on. I’ve become used to double cutting my V-carve files to help remove stuff that didn’t cut clean, but that wasn’t necessary today!

FYI for anyone avoiding re-sharpening bits due to not wanting to have to compensate for a bit’s new diameter after sharpening, this isn’t necessary on a sharpened V-bit… Z-zeroing automatically makes the compensation!

As for the economics… This bit costs about $30.00 locally, or as cheap as $23.00 on Amazon, plus shipping if you’re not a prime member. I can have them sharpened and ruined locally for $7.00 to $10.00… but that’s not an option! John’s “fee” of 1+1 is essentially a half price bit sale!

SG

Attached Images Attached Images

Glad they worked for you. The V-bits are easy to sharpen as long as they aren't cracked, chipped or burned. Sooner rather than later makes them easy to sharpen too. Waiting until they are blunt instruments requires taking a lot more metal off the bit.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool