Thread: HDPE bit help 1/8 or 1/2?

Default HDPE bit help 1/8 or 1/2?

HDPE Help?

I'm working on a project in HDPE. It's .187 thick & I need to cut about 60 full depth pockets in it that measure 1.5 x 1.2. The only bits I have are 1/8" o-flute upcut(Onsrud 65-012) & a 1/2" low helix 2-flute bit for plastics (Vortex 4260). From what I've calculated, if I use the 1/8" bit the machine time is around 7 hours. The 1/2" is around 14 minutes, but at 500IPM. I have an Alpha Buddy, but I've just never cut anything like HDPE, especially that fast. The 1/8" numbers I am using are 60ipm @ 12k rpm & a cut depth of 0.05. The 1/2", I'm using 500IPM @ 9k rpm at 0.1 depth. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
    Capture.JPG

you can do that depth in one pass with either bit. 60ipm full depth with the 1/8" is fine it is soft it wants to grab bits a bit so the parts want to move. usually I leave a onion skin on the part it is the only practial way to keep it in palce when you cut through. it is easy to clean up with a knife.

I cut that stuff every week. I always onion skin it so the parts stay put. I use a deburring tool to make a nice clean edge on it when I'm done.

For feeds and speeds to with that 1/2" but. Do 18k RPM, full depth per pass, at 225 IPM and you should see good speed and quality. Using that 1/8" bit is nuts, that'll take forever!

Will try that... Thanks.. Climb or conventional?

I do climb. The stuff I do is production so it's usually to passes through 1/2" HDPE in the climb direction. If you wanted to clean it up nice if this is a one off, maybe do a pass climb with a bit of an offset, and then come back in reverse (conventional) and take a few thousandths off.

Did the inside profile toolpath not work that I recommended on the Facebook group page?
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Sorry for the delay.. Yes those feeds & speeds worked great!! Thanks for the help on it.. After a little cleanup, looks perfect.

20180507_195940.jpg