Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z-Zero routine

Default Z-Zero routine

OK, now that I have my machine back and running with the original box I am trying to get the Z-zero routine to work.

Never have been able to get it to work with the old box, but when I put on the 4g box it worked like a charm. Now that I am back to the old box, it is, sort of, half working. When I run the C2 routine, the bit will go down touch the bit, it reads .121 the thickness of the plate. Then the software shows the z moving to the 1" and then coming back down to the plate again (.121) then back up to 1"....but after touching the plate the first time the Z stops moving, despite what the software is showing. This is still better than what I had before, but would sure be nice to get it working correctly.

Any ideas? By the way the 4g box is still for sale.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Default Selling ?

So you are selling the 4G box you just bought ?

Seems there would be someone you could visit not too far away that would have the same setup so you could get it working.

... with the Z plate ... when the bit touches the plate you should see the z number on the screen change to the thickness of you plate.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Yup on both counts. I've decided to sell the 4g box and not fight it any longer. I think, in order to make it work right I would really need to put a bunch of money into the basic machine, rather than do that, it is working ok the way it is. If I decide I need faster cutting/movement I'll upgrade to a newer machine.

On the zeroing routine, Yes it goes down touching the top of the plate it reads ,121 Then it shows the axis moving up to 1" (but the axis does not move) Shows coming back down on the .121 then back to 1". All this without the axis moving after the first touch.
    Tom Bachman,
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896

Did you possibly update your software/firmware when trying out the 4G box and didn't back it down for the old controller?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Did you possibly update your software/firmware when trying out the 4G box and didn't back it down for the old controller?
    Nope, I uninstalled the the newer version and installed the older version again.

I'm actually closer to the Z-zero plate working than before.
    Tom Bachman,
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896

did you reinstall the firmware

tomhartnett Guest

When the bit touches the plate, does input 1 trigger in the software?
    With regular motion commands does the z move both up and down correctly? I'd give it Move->Z, 1 and Move->Z, 0 commands.
    Do make sure you have run the Utilities->Install Control Box Firmware routine.

Tom B..
    If you were not able to get the 4G setup to drastically outperform its predecessor, you most likely didn't get a proper firmware loaded or had some settings muffed.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

If it were me I would ditch the zero plate and get an APM tool setter off ebay for $130. I no longer have a SB and my machine had an electronic switch it sucked as bad as the aluminum plate on my old SB I tried the APM tool setter and would never use either one again. I have no connection to that company but I sure like the tool. There is no doubt when using it what height your tool is at. It is nothing special just a dial indicator in a base.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

I can't see why you were having so much trouble with the 4G box unless you INI file didn't load right or held the old settings.