Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collectors

Default Dust collectors

I'm doing some upgrading on the ShopBot and one of those upgrades is adding a dust separator. I need one for the Saw & Miter Saw in another building so I built 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I cut aluminum circles to line the interior on the collectors. The plan is to hook a ground wire to the ready rod.
    And I couldn't resist designing a logo and laser engraving it on the plywood top.

Nice.

You have too many toys.

2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Quote Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
    Nice.

You have too many toys.

Ya'but the toys pay the bills, so I gotta' play.

[QUOTE=guitarwes;200993]Nice.

You have too many toys.

One cannot have too many toys...

nice build . i like the cyclone lasered in.
    i wish mine was clear on the sides

what are you machining.

i dont mean to be critical with the next part. i have learnt a lot here and want to give back if i can. i have built 4 thien baffle seperators and am currently running a double height , 24" dia, 8" inlet

in the end i think you will be disapointed with its performance
    your transition piece from round to square is too small and too quick . it also is too small. you should add 10% to the area of the inlet pipe when working out the area for the transition to allow for the losses going from round to square. more if you are going for a long rectangle
    those lips in the transition will create a lot of turbulance and catch material

your diameter of the chamber is a bit small. you might be ok but it will increase the resistance of the seperater and reduce cfm

your slot around the baffle plate looks very large. if its mostly dust your creating i would drop the slot down to 20mm . wider slots are better for shavings but increase air rotation below the baffle which increases re animation of seperated particals.

you dont have a solid part of the baffle(slot goes the whole way around) that solid portion helps seperate the air above and below the baffle . this allows for better seperation and less re animation

you have threaded rod in 4 locations holding up the baffle. if you get rid of them you will reduce turbulance a lot allowing smother air movement and high cfm and seperation rate

you have a double height seperator but the inlet at the bottom. your not getting any benifit from that. its acting as a single height unit.

you outlet looks like it is flush with the top of the chamber. if you extend it down so that it is at least half way down or more you will get better rotation and better seperation.

i think you will struggle with those barrels being sucked in. i did

It's been slow going on the dust collector lately. This is my busy time, so personal project take a back seat. I did get the base built and a few things hooked up. I added a tube for sweeping up the last bit of dust that I usually chase around with broom & scoop. This works pretty well. I plan to build a little baffle that I can set in front of the opening to funnel the dust. It has to be something I can put away when done, so it doesn't get in the way.

I made quick couplers to unhook the barrel for dumping. I ground the divider out of Sc40 couplers so a sewer pipe coupler would slide through. I glued some PVC lugs on the couplers for hand grips.

I have the miter saw pretty much done. I do have a little more work to do on the front, but it works as it is now, so that may stay like this for awhile. The plywood opening is just big enough for the saw to move where it has to. The coroplast panels will set in tracks on the bottom and be held to the sheet metal header on top with magnets. I used my vinyl wrap magnets for now. I can remove them or slide them out however far I have to to make miter cuts. Still have to run conduit for the 3 way switches, one by the table saw and the other by the miter saw.
    I added an extension to the exhaust side of the separator as Allan suggested. Also removed the 4 ready rods. I did a before and after test, and to be honest I couldn't tell a difference. Both tests I picked up about 1/2 barrel of dust and both times & had about 1/4 cup of fine dust in the vacuum. Maybe the difference will show up when the barrel gets fuller? I have the same model vac on the CNC with no separator and while there may be some suction loss, I can't tell the difference between the 2. The barrel is high density polyethylene, no problems with collapsing. It's still a work in progress, but I've used the dust sweeper to clean up the floor a few times now, and I'm liking that. The miter saw also seems to be dust free, with the few cuts it's made, although the test will be the next time I have a lot of cutting to do.
    Last edited by pro70z28; 05-15-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Really like the dust collection for the miter saw. Thanks.