Thread: Only on a CNC - slatted bench

Default Only on a CNC - slatted bench

Hi everyone,

I've finally graduated from being a CNC novice (I think ), and I'd like to share a fun slatted bench that I designed and made for a client.

I think it's a good example of a project that you would attempt only with CAD and digital fabrication tools. The slats and spacers are custom curved, and there are 4 different steel rods that run the entire length of the bench top: 2 threaded rods that are visible, and 2 hidden rods that keep the spacers locked in their proper orientation.

The client wanted ash, and the finish is lacquer. Natural steel legs were custom made (not by me) for this particular design.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_3506.jpg
    IMG_3512.jpg
    IMG_3516.jpg
    IMG_3515.jpg

Furniture of many types is a great direction to go.
    But then I'm prejudiced. Nice project. Look forward to seeing more.

Looks cool. I've been thinking about making some pontoon boat furniture in that type of design from extruded pvc. No rot, easy to clean with a pressure washer.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Good job - the only critique I have is to cap off that all-thread with acorn nuts. Could you imagine someone catching their leg meat on that? Or a kid?

The next one you do, countersink the nuts in the lumber so they don't stick out.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Good job - the only critique I have is to cap off that all-thread with acorn nuts. Could you imagine someone catching their leg meat on that? Or a kid?

The next one you do, countersink the nuts in the lumber so they don't stick out.

-B
    I happen to agree with you about the acorn nut. As it turns out, the client actually requested the more exposed and industrial look for the hardware. I did file down the threaded rod to get rid of anything sharp.

As for countersinking, I agree in principle and would love some ideas. The slats are 3/4" thick, and the nut etc, combined, are too close to 3/4" to recess without compromising strength.

Quote Originally Posted by bking1836 View Post
    I happen to agree with you about the acorn nut. As it turns out, the client actually requested the more exposed and industrial look for the hardware. I did file down the threaded rod to get rid of anything sharp.

As for countersinking, I agree in principle and would love some ideas. The slats are 3/4" thick, and the nut etc, combined, are too close to 3/4" to recess without compromising strength.
    Use one more spacer on the outside over / covering the hardware

Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

If you want low profile for the nuts you can use hex drive nuts.