Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What materials to use on Bass-relief

Thanks Dave for the 100kGarages suggestion! One small correction though...100Garages was a joint project created by Ted Hall and myself, with help from Ponoko, Autodesk, Open Desk, and many others.

For those who haven't researched 100kGarages (like Joe obviously), 100kGarages is a network of businesses that have digital tools of all kinds. There are lots of ShopBots but also shops with 3d printers. small CNC tools for engraving, CNC plasma cutters, full-on machine shops that have HAAS-milling machines, and pretty much every type and brand of CNC that you can imagine. There's also a direct link from Fusion 360 so that a Fusion user can post a job directly to 100kGarages and solicit bids. It's free to join and participate in and serves the exact purpose that Joe was requesting...helping people find businesses with digital tools to do fabrication for their projects.

It got its name not from the fact that these are people working in garages, but from a question at the 2008 Presidential debates. It asked if the US would be better off spending money on a large project like the Manhattan Project, or having 100,000 Garages full of entrepreneurs doing work. We felt that digital tools made the second option the logical choice, and although some may indeed be working out of garages, all are small business in all kinds of facilities.

Finally as a long-time ShopBot owner I have a comment for Joe ... this "hobbiest" kick you seem to have latched on to is both factually wrong, insulting to ShopBot owners, and generally annoying. Enough!

I second what Bill said even though he's owned one But he thinks he's above all of us

I agree with Robtown about the Photoshop work. The hard shadows are going to make this look a bit different than you might imagine, since the height-field algorithms that CAM programs use to convert graphics to 3D meshes make deep holes wherever the darkest pixels appear. For this sort of thing to work best, it's important to get a smooth gray-scale modulation from the darkest tones to the lightest ones. This Egyptian bas-relief is mostly just black and white, so the carving will mostly be a series of trenches around basically flat shapes. Tracing them with vectors and making a 3D model from those would give better results than an automatic 2D to 3D process in this case. But it would be a lot more work.

Werby,

Thanks for the technical advice. I'll do some tests and post the results. It may take some masking though. I may return to Egypt for the grand opening of the new museum. That would give me another chance to photograph these wall.

Bill,

Once again let me point out how proud I am of the fellows who find enjoyment with routing. It's a wonderful hobby that's equal to golfing, fishing, or any other part time exercise. The exception I take is the hobby class competing with us little sign guys. Commercial Sign Shops are bonded, licensed, and support our city's by paying for permits and abiding by the sign codes. I know you don't understand but I'll do my best to hold close techniques that separate the pro's from the hobby minded. Free and cheep signs aren't fair. I do my best to report un-licensed garage operators. I also do my best to help legal sign businesses who are posting. This is a skilled profession that takes years to master.

Joe

Some of the best and brightest people are working in, or started out as "hobbiest" people in garages. You post a lot here under the guise of helping out others, but what it really comes across as is a way for you to stroke your ego and to look down at a huge class of users that you seem to regard as second class citizens.

In fairness I've seen you give some good advice, but also you disrespect users here before because of designs and work they've posted or shared that you consider to be below you. The community as I've seen it (with you as an exception) openly welcomes all kinds of "making" and creativity, regardless of skill level or professional achievement.

Please do us all a favor and try abiding by the age old golden rule: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." And if you do want to continue being negative, continue bashing ShopBot and their users on other forums (as you've done in the past).

This thread has gotten far from its original intent, mostly caused by me, so I'm going to close it. Since I have the power though I'm going to have the last word!

The best I understand it Joe's beef is with non-professionals making signs ..what he considers "hobbiests"...and not with ShopBotters or CNC users in general. Though I don't play golf, for the majority of us a day in the shop hauling materials around, covered in dust, is not anything like I imagine a day at the golf course being. It's no more of a hobby than cutting on the table saw or rounding over parts on a router table.

Joe...my personal feelings aside on the hobby parts, I want to remind you that this is a CNC forum, specifically ShopBot, and not a sign forum. We have active members that own other brands of CNC machines and some like you that don't own a CNC at all and we are generally a pretty tolerant group. Our focus is on CNC and ShopBot. We're happy to have people post pictures and information about projects they have done, but we hope that they are either CNC related or posted to educate our members. Yours are certainly inspiration for the sign guys here...just keep in mind that signmakers are a pretty small subset of our members.

To all...

This is a pretty friendly group and we want to keep it that way. It's easy for things to be taken the wrong way when posting on a forum, so let's all be aware of how our postings might be mis-understood or mis-interpreted. No personal attacks or broad negative generalizations, no matter how well deserved they may feel at the time.

I'm closing this thread but welcome Joe to repost this project in a new thread to get feedback on how he might get this carving done. I'm sure it will go better next time :^)

Bill