Thread: Zeroing A & B axis?

Default Zeroing A & B axis?

I just purchased, received and have setup my first ShopBot Desktop Max with a 6" Rotary Indexer. I have installed everything and read all the documentation but am not sure how to physically zero the A & B axis properly. I have learned that the "B" axis is the rotational axis around the X axis and the A axis is the rotational axis around the Y, (is that correct?). I've read through a multitude of posts but haven't came across one that instructs me on proper zeroing. Does anyone have a link to proper instructions or perhaps can you post this procedure so a newbie to indexing can accomplish this? Thanks for any info and/or assistance in advance.

ZB zeros the B axis, which on a SB is always the rotary regardless of orientation. The A is usually reserved for a 2nd Z.

For rotary work I'd recommend zeroing the Z at the center of the rotary axis. You can make yourself a custom zzero routine to offset for the indexer.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I have already created a jig for zeroing at the center of the rotary axis. Good advise. Makes things much easier. Where do I place my spindle and bit prior to zeroing the B axis? I'm not understanding the B zero procedure. Unsure of what configuration I need to be in prior to clicking/selecting ZB.

It doesn't matter where you place the spindle prior to zeroing the B axis, as long as the point lines up with the center of the rotational axis of your indexer. I have a chunk of 2x4 that I stand next to the work on the indexer mount that lines up with the center. To zero, I back off the X axis by 2", zero the B, then move back to the "zero" position. My indexer is oriented on the X axis and the gantry moves the Y car only.

If you examine an indexer machine code file, the axis your indexer is oriented on doesn't even have a number. It's blank. As I am on the X axis with the indexer, all X axis values are missing from the machine code. That means that it is irrelevant what value the X axis reads on your machine when you are doing indexer work. I zero the Y axis about 2" away from the chuck. It is very important NOT to run your end mill into the chuck. It can be a costly and embarrassing error. Don't ask me why I say this.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Perfect. Thank you for breaking it down for me. I was beginning to think I was going to be required to climb a mountain in the Himalayas and offer sexual favors to some monk to be worthy. LOL. That’s just what I needed. I figured because the axis is 0-360 degrees that it would be the proper position. Thanks again for helping out this neophyte. Can’t wait to begin now.

Don't forget to post pictures! (not of you and some monk, but of your work!)
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

LOL. Looking forward to it and thanks for the help!