Thread: new to shopbot

Default new to shopbot

i am new to shopbot and i am trying to figure somethings out.
    the last cnc i had was more of a hobby machine that ran IPM instead of Inches per sec. the shopbot is way faster. I own a standard 48x96. i am trying to make bookshelves from some 2x8s i would usually do this on my tale saw but it has been raining here in FL for weeks and because my cnc takes up the garage i would have to use the table saw in the rain. so i am trying to do it on the cnc.

my last cnc just had a sheet to use the feed and speeds the company came up with so i am unsure how to calculate that. i am using a 1/2 diameter downward spiral bit from Freud to profile cut the 2x8s. i looked up the safe chip load for softwood on a 1/2 diameter bit and saw .02 would work. i am cutting through a 2x8 using the .02 for chip load cutting .5 per pass for a total on 3 passes the calculator says the feed is 5ips and 7500 rpm does this seem right or is this way wrong.

next, i purchased the usb remote and the the only thing it seems to control right now is the z axis any ideas on how it is suppose to controll everything else.

thank you for your patience with me
    Andrew

Andrew

Welcome to BotWorld!
    Your speed would depend on how old your standard is. If you have a 4G or newer control box (PRS Standard) then I would cut around 4ips and spin 12-15K (Use your ears). Plunge speed .5
    The older PRT Standards before the 4G control box would need to cut around 1.5ips or you lose accuracy and would be more prone to losing steps at faster cut speeds. .5 deep per cut is fine.
    Now that you know your posts work note that there are a lot of members who don't look at posts in the test section.
    I'm in Delray. Where in FL are you?

i am in casselberry north east orlando