Thread: Lithopane lighting source?

Default Lithopane lighting source?

I went back and searched and only found my original post in 2009 and i'm sure it's different now...

My question...has anyone found a bright SOLAR lighting source so you could make a lithopane (about the size of your hand) 6"x4" for use outside? If so could you post a link or specific details?
    thanks
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

no one done this?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack…

How much do you want to spend?
    For about $1000.00 I’ve got something that will do the job!

SG

Attached Images Attached Images

What i want to power is about 6"x4"... I believe that would be a bit overkill! lol
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

You really have two issues:

1. A bright light source.

2. A way of powering it with solar energy.

The two things are not really connected.

I suggest the following:

1. Determine how much wattage you're going to need to get the correct level of illumination required for your application. For instance, does it only need to light up at night or do you need it to be visible in sunlight? A sunlight visible light source would be many times that required to illuminate at night. If you only need light at night, it could be that a simple battery pack will provide months of power without intervention. A stack of CR2032's can last an entire year of continuous power to a low wattage LED.

2. Source a solar panel, charger electronics and battery sufficient for your application. Be sure to allow for solar panel degradation over time. Each type of solar panel has a different rate at which the power generation capability will tail off with time. Increase your power requirements so that the application will continue to function for whatever you determine the lifetime to be.

That would be the approach I would take anyway.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Jack…

If your lithopane is to be viewed during daylight hours, you’ll need about 2000 lumens illuminating that 6X4 area… unless the viewed surface is shaded. Sunlight is 10,000 lumens per sq ft.

2000 lumen LED’s draw close to 20 watts… it’ll take a “real” solar system to collect and store enough energy to reliably illuminate this project!

SG