Thread: JTech lasers - good or bad investment

Default JTech lasers - good or bad investment

I'm looking at doing entry level engraving on wood, glass, plastics, acrylics, etc.. I'm also going to be cutting very thin pieces (1/32", 1/16") walnut, cherry, oak, maple, baltic birch, plastics, acrylics. It's mainly going to be for hobby applications (model ship building mainly), some work in my cabinet/furniture company. Cutting and working with thicker material, well, that's why I have a CNC machine. LOL

I don't have the $$$$$ to purchase one of the high power lasers (Epilog, etc.), so that option is off the table. Nor do I have the horizontal surface real estate in my shop to put one of the self contained jobies....

I've got 23 years electronics experience in the Coast Guard, so can work on the electronics.

I've been looking at the JTech 3.8W kit for my Shopbot PRS Alpha. I was wondering what luck people have had with this companies' lasers, integration with Shopbot CNC's, company/forum support (like Vectric) and Aspire working with the JTech?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Don
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Read the specs carefully & compare to their lower power one (the 2w one I think) in terms of beam shape and how fine it will cut (kerf). My understanding is the higher watt models have an oval shaped beam (or something to that effect).

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady! Good to know!

My budget is about $1K. This piece of equipment will be 99% hobby use and 1% business. There are plenty of other shops in my area that offer laser work. I don't have a desire to compete with them. That's why I'm looking for a bolt on. My shop has no space for another piece of equipment. I need to keep what space I have free for cabinet jobs, which I've been doing a lot of the last 3 years.
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

Ok. Let's expand this to Opt Lasers (out of Poland). https://optlasers.com/

Anyone have any experience with this company and their products on a Shopbot CNC?

Thanks!!
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com

Following with interest. I have interest in the ability to cut 16th" myself.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley