Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Fathers Day... who else is working?

Default Happy Fathers Day... who else is working?

My plan was to go camping with my two boys all weekend...

I ended up working all weekend running my Shopbot to cut out about 100 bench/pew ends and supports, to bail out a local contractor who took on a job they couldn’t produce.

Ironically he’s probably spending quality time with his 3 young kids.

Life of a self employed woodworker who’s empathetic, lol.

I'm sorry Andrew that you missed your planned outing with your kids...….. But hopefully you will still be able to spend time with them today, and earn some money to take a trip with them on some upcoming weekend. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Yup...Employees have no clue what it takes to run your own gig.

Packing up another laser scanner for the USAF....and doing paperwork. Endless paperwork...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

No work today, but I may not be working even on a regular workday. I feel lousy, but I'll probably be back at it tomorrow regardless.

A guy I used to work with said that the best thing about Friday was that there was only two more workdays in the week.

Yep - lacquering a kitchen worth of doors drawers and face frames.
    Quitting early today (2pm) as family is on the way over.
    Good thing I love what I do...!

Happy fathers day to all!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by bill.young View Post
    A guy I used to work with said that the best thing about Friday was that there was only two more workdays in the week.
    A construction company that I do a lot of work for says they only work 1/2 Days....... 24 hours in a day, so they only work 12 of them. That's actually a short day for me more times than not. I'm getting to the age, however, that long days will occur less & less in the future.

E2D7A044-9101-4AA9-961B-C171F5E6F615.jpg3BFD676A-5CB8-40D5-91F4-CEF59A69F49D.jpg9E31BE0A-ACAC-47B3-AE86-DCE341811D22.jpgWell, I worked hard this weekend. The nice thing is, without my employees, no phone calls and nothing to interrupt me I probably get 50% more work accomplished.

The contractor bid on manufacturing new courhouse benches that I also bid on back in February. I of course did not get the job. They don’t have a woodworking facility (just basic tools) and I am assuming underestimated the workload. Without a decent sized power fed jointer/planer, proper gluing equipment and of course the wide belt sander, edge sander and CNC router.... this job is a lot more work than it appears.

The owner came to me two weeks ago, but we were finishing up a kitchen. Just started this past Tuesday and they need everything done by this Friday. Yeah, that’s awesome... not!

I had to finish laminating the blanks for the support panels yesterday, and today I cut them out on the router, edge and face sanded them, ran everything through the shaper to radius the edges. I was beat by the end of the day.

Ive been in jams at a few points in my career. And I had no one to help me. I feel bad for this fellow, he just got in over his head. Ill make a good buck on this job too, which doesn’t hurt lol.

On a related note - anyone doing similar work, I have to say since I installed a 1 1/2 Hp 4 wheel feeder onto my 16” 7.5Hp jointer, I can process so much more lumber. I set the wheels flat to face joint - then pass everything through the planer, then edge joint my stock with the feeder turned on its side to force the work into the fence and downwards onto the outfield table. Not only faster but so much easier on my back.

Also, with larger glue ups (there is >2500 board feet of lumber in this job) the pneumatic glue pot with trigger controlled spreader is amazing. I use the Lamello one that we can drop in a gallon jug of Titebond in. Set the paddle for the correct width and just apply the glue to the whole edge in one pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Yup...Employees have no clue what it takes to run your own gig.

Packing up another laser scanner for the USAF....and doing paperwork. Endless paperwork...

-B
    My two employees are great. They know what we do inside and out, and have a 100% realistic view on how my company operates. That being said we all have small kids (from 3 to 13) and I didn’t have the heart to ask them to come to work this weekend. They work overtime when needed usually.