Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Test some new software!!

Cool Test some new software!!

Hey everyone! I've been a ShopBot user for a number of years now. You may have seen some of my work here that I've posted from time to time. I you haven't you can check out some of it at www.digitallyfabbed.com.

Going from design to actually cutting files can be tricky as you know. It's been my belief for years that one spends a lot of time thinking about how something will be made when they design it. They're forced to "re-explain" a lot of that design intent again to make toolpaths for the thing they they've carefully designed.

What if you CAM software just understood what you were trying to? Imagine if all of your toolpaths could be automatically generated from a 3D model you imported? This is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

To solve this problem I've built some software and I'd like to share it with you all. Here's a quick, unscripted demo of that software in action:

YouTube Demo

As you can see you can now take a SketchUp model and automatically generate the toolpaths you need directly using VCarve or Aspire. You no longer need to spend a lot of time re-working your 3D model for export, nor do you need to spend a lot of time cleaning up vectors in Vectric.

Our intent is to get you from your 3D model to ready to cut in just a few minutes.

This is brand new software and I'm reaching out to you all to ask you to come help us test it.

We'll be sending out a beta test in a few weeks and would love to have as many of you as possible on board.

If you're interested, sign up at www.getfabber.com and we'll send you the beta.

Let me know if you have any questions in the mean time.

Hi Eric,
    This looks cool. I am not that versed in sketchup but this is more for machining 2D parts created in sketchup but nothing that requires 3d carving, correct? I've been away from the forum for some time so i need to get caught back up on alot. This looks like a really neat project.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Right now this is just for 2.5D parts. 3D is coming... soon. Today if you wanted to do some 3D carving out of SketchUp you can export an STL file and bring it into Aspire that way. You just can't do it with our software and get the automatic toolpathing.

Looks interesting. I can't wait to try it. Hopefully, it's not just for cutting parts from sheet goods. I use hardwoods mostly for cutting parts at varying widths and lengths.

Bill

Bill, it's for any part, any shape or size you want. If you're doing hardwoods that vary in thickness we'll be able to handle that no problem. When you draw something in SketchUp we're reading the thickness you drew it so all of your cutouts, drills, pockets and such will line up just right.

Do you have a photo of some of the parts you normally cut you could share?

Thank you Eric for tackling such a challenging task. Always felt there must be a better way with Sketchup, as you and I have discussed - appreciate your efforts towards a solution and very much looking forward to an opportunity to try it out!

jeff

No problem! Just finishing up a few things with the installer and we should have this out very soon!

What kind of work are you designing and building in SketchUp?

Eric, This looks really cool. I do a lot of design work in Sketchup and would love an easier way to export those designs for cutting on the CNC.

THank you for putting this together. I look forward to seeing it and trying it out!
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Will it work on Macs?
    Our most important shop tool is the pencil sharpener!

The SketchUp exporter does work just fine (I'm actually using a Mac in the video) but obviously you need Vectric to use that side of things.

For users that want to use a Mac/PC combo we support that, but you'll have to manually install it for now (not hard, but it does require copying a few files)