Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flap Sanding Head

Yes Steve same here. We run woodwork classes but they really are just sanding workshops. Luckily they come away satisfied!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Bob,

Have you tried a rolling pin sander? They have a bladder that holds the sanding cylinder in place. Unlike a hard cylinder it has a handle and is soft enough to flex into hard to get places.

Attached Images Attached Images

I made up a dedicated machine out of stuff laying around the shop, I knew I was keeping the junk around for something. It works well and is much quieter than a drill mounted in a jawhorse.

Last edited by Brian Harnett; 06-26-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    I like your use of old sander belts and will likely do something similar! However, what I really want to see are your spoons! Are you putting a finish on them? Do you have issues with them getting splits after a while? What sizes are you making?

I’ve been making some from pecan drops and wondering what others are doing to stand out from the crowd… I’m unwilling to price them to compete with “grocery store” spoons!

SG

Steve here are some of the spoons I make. I do them for variety and to have some additions to my bowls and cutting boards. I soak them with canola oil and rub them down with a beeswax canola mix. the wax is melted into the oil in a double boiler, I do not remember the ratio I made a bunch two or so years ago still have a lot left.

Joe, is that pvc 1" and where can I buy that? Your work is great.

Jerry,

I don't want to Hi-jack Brian's Flapper post so I'll post a response in the Sign section.

Joe

Awesome. That's what we call "Redneck ingenuity" around here! My dad just hauled off a trailer load of brake rotors to the scrapyard. I knew I should've kept a couple of them.
    The only thing I could think of that may make this better is to extend the shank out further so you can have more room to maneuver your parts so that they don't hit the upright support. Just thinking out loud. Looks great and I'm sure it's already very handy.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Quote Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
    Awesome. That's what we call "Redneck ingenuity" around here! My dad just hauled off a trailer load of brake rotors to the scrapyard. I knew I should've kept a couple of them.
    The only thing I could think of that may make this better is to extend the shank out further so you can have more room to maneuver your parts so that they don't hit the upright support. Just thinking out loud. Looks great and I'm sure it's already very handy.
    Yes I will most likely lengthen the shaft its just 1/2 threaded rod, I am thinking about a big buffing wheel for it.

Nice looking work! Can I ask why do the spoons have curved handles?

McGee…

I don’t presume to answer for Brian, but from my perspective, my straight handled spoons are just another spoon… Brian's are art!

Mine were made stout with scraping, heavy candy type stirring in mind, but are viewed by the customer as an over priced ordinary kitchen utensil. My next batch will be more creative!

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images