Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flap Sanding Head

Default Flap Sanding Head

Made a few of these up for sanding contoured parts at the moment a lot of spoons. I cut the spoon bowl on the shopbot and bandsaw the handles so they are all unique the longest part of the operation is sanding.

I had some hickory to make them with. Works well and I use wide belt sander belt material that is scrap for the paper.

And a video of it in action

https://vimeo.com/276648035

And another type I have been using for years sandpaper on threaded rod.

I bought this brush sander that turns my otherwise underused drill press into a very handy sander here:

http://www.flap-wheels.com/

flap-wheels.jpg
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    I bought this brush sander that turns my otherwise underused drill press into a very handy sander here:

http://www.flap-wheels.com/

flap-wheels.jpg
    Those are nice, but I use a lot of belts this gives them a second life before the trash and were paid for already.

Brian, Excellent thread!

Once again Brian shows his creative ability. I know there aren't many users of PVC but flap wheels and flexible sanding disks are necessary for us. You can really lean hard on them with PVC. It makes for a very smooth surface. All 3d our woodgrain panels need these tools.

Once again for the posts.

Attached Images Attached Images

I like your use of old sander belts and will likely do something similar! However, what I really want to see are your spoons! Are you putting a finish on them? Do you have issues with them getting splits after a while? What sizes are you making?

I’ve been making some from pecan drops and wondering what others are doing to stand out from the crowd… I’m unwilling to price them to compete with “grocery store” spoons!

SG

Photographs of one's work is like a self portrait. I enjoy seeing the creative work from others. And seeing their solutions and techniques. In many of the trades finishing is required and I'd like to see even more of that.

After looking at Brian's photo's I feel as I know him and enjoy his posts very much. He's a gett-her done guy!

www.normansignco.com

Joe have you tried Klingspores mops with the “little fingers” that get into all the nicks and crannies? Absolutely magic and they get better with use and dont wreck texture as shown in your pic. They are also fastastic for polishing aluminium. Love your work!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Bob,

I'm a Klingspore addict. Yes you are right about the flap sander I posted. My favorite are a smaller version of the one you are showing. The one in the photo is my smaller one but I have another that's about 2". As you say these are amazing tools. And not too expensive.

I ahve the best sander my customers