Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: V Carving Cedar Help

Steven Blake:

How did you make out with your tests? Looks like a common thread that people are saying is roughly 2-3 IPS and about 12k RPM. Also, using some tighter grained wood seems to be a common suggestion. I'd be interested to see how it all turned out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Jerry,

Letterhead Fonts are premium and glitch free. Chuck Davis is the founder and reviews every one. He's always available to help with any problem.

It's neat to know all these letters are made by practicing sign artists. For years most of these have only been for sale by LHF. Another advantage is, the memory bank maintains fonts you purchased so if your computer drops the fonts, they are available at no charge.

One precaution about the letter style "Desire". It's huge. It took David eight years to build and for sure professional designers tool.

www.letterheadfonts.com

Joe
    Thanks for the push Joe , I will be doing business with these pros. Thanks again. Jerry

Steven Blake,

I'm with Eric, how's it coming?

Joe

My two cents. I've made thousands of vcarved cedar signs (used to take my smaller CNC to the Christmas fair every year and make signs to order - fun and hectic). Sharp bit, 60-70ipm, 15k, mostly Artcam toolpaths which basically carves each side of the groove separately, don't know about Vectric, about every font that you can imagine. 2002 PRT w/upgrade box. Very few issues like pictured. I was carving into blanks prefinished with Helmsman Spar Varnish, so it may be a coat of Shellac or other sealer may help you. And, as mentioned in an earlier post, I tried to buy clear, vertical grain cedar, though always ended up with something of a mix of grain patterns. Don't know if any of this helps, just wanted to post a system that works for me.

On a side note, I had a lot of issues with bleeding, the worst was kinda borderline to me, but nobody ever complained. Best results were consistently with close growth, vertical grain, worst with flat grain. When in the shop, using a mask and spraying the vcarve with shellac before painting helped a lot on prefinished blanks. Raw wood, shellac before and after vcarve helped.

Donn,

Like you I've carved tons of signs without anything like what's been shown. Using ArtCam Insignia with hardwoods, soft cedars, redwoods, MDF, and Trupan I can't remember any problems.

Those of us making a living at it move past errors like this with speed. Note all the suggestions with no photo examples. This is a visual business and suggestions are more effective if seen with a snap or two.
    Joe