Thread: White oak table

Hybrid View

Default White oak table

Sorry I am not too active the past while on the forum - been busy, and I often forget to take photos and post. Hard to believe that it is 6 1/2 years since I have incorporated the Shopbot into my shop, and it continues to allow us to manufacture things that we otherwise couldn’t do.

This past spring, we did a large custom kitchen and other cabinetry four a customer. They also wanted to have a large (10’ By 4’) dining table made in quarter cut white oak.

We did some drawings of the proposed base, then cut a sample from poplar to get the OK. The past week I cut the parts for the base columns (23” long, 10” wide and 3 1/2” thick - 4 pcs per column) roughed them out and finish machined them with a 1/2” ballnose bit.

We mitred them on the resale bandsaw set to 45 degrees - and jointed the faces perfectly to mitre the bases together.

This is another job I am very proud of - a true custom piece for a good customer (we did their oak staircase as well, and other closet cabinetry all in maple).

Will post pics when it is stained and finished. Just waiting to get the sample colour approved.

The columns were shaped and sanded today (rounded the corners and so forth) but I forgot to take a photo. WIll do next week. This wood is very dense and heavy... the top will weigh in about 350 pounds. The columns take two hands and a good grip to handle.

looks great, I love working with white oak.

great work

Bob

Can't wait to see the oil pic!
    NICE Andrew!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Another beautiful project .....
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson