Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first 3d sign with imported wood texture.

Default my first 3d sign with imported wood texture.

I go months if not more between doing anything in 3d so I never remember how to do much in aspire. so first I battled to get the texture file to be at a decent height. so it was not cutting so deep. then when I cookie cutter cut the texture to fit between the vectors I would fid somehow the outside one would be shrunk and I could not backtrack far enough so it took like 5 times between that and missing parts. the small one was fine till I moved it all to the other side of the sheet then I had a dive to 1.87" lucky the tree will be hand carved.
    the sign guy that will paint this and guild the letters will really make this pop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,

Beautiful!

I hope you will continue showing us more work like this. Finishing can be overdone. It's already a piece of artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Steve,

Beautiful!

I hope you will continue showing us more work like this. Finishing can be overdone. It's already a piece of artwork.
    my customer is a really good sign painter it will look like wood when he is done. it was battle to get the texture to work .I am not much of a 3d guy and do it so seldom I can't remember how to do much. the letters will be guided I think he said copper.
    most of my work is pretty boring though.

I guess the tree is cut out and applied?

he was going to have me do it in 3d but his customer upped the completion date so he did not have time to get the 3d done so he will carve it by hand. he usually has me pocket out parts then he goes from there. this is the first 3d we have done. hopefully not the last.

Steve,

You can build a business from this kind of work. As you know the only kind of signs I make are like the one you are making. There's so little competition in this field. But you have to refine the customer base.

Joe

You gotta watch out by letting a customer adjust the finish date. After all they don't know what it takes to pull one of these off. I encourage my customers to come by to see the progress were making. I've even invited them to drop by and help. That will quickly extend a short deadline. These signs take time and can't be rushed!

he is hoping he can sell more of these. Yes was pissed that they moved up the date. but that is for him to deal with for sure. I don't think he lets it happen often. Yes he likes 6 weekly to do the finish work. me I am the fast guy (G) But remember I am only cutting the sign for a sign guy I do the for several sign companies.

What version of Aspire are you using? I fought that same battle then found out that one of the more recent versions makes it pretty easy to do that job. Review some of the 3D videos Vectric has on line.

Quote Originally Posted by tlempicke View Post
    What version of Aspire are you using? I fought that same battle then found out that one of the more recent versions makes it pretty easy to do that job. Review some of the 3D videos Vectric has on line.
    the latest. it is mostly me since I hardy do any 3d so I forget it. just took some work to figure it out.