Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any ideas how to bypass computer controls while machine is cutting?

Default any ideas how to bypass computer controls while machine is cutting?

maybe I could not find the option on the control software, but many times I need to use the computer while program is running the file. Any suggestions?

no this is a bad idea. this is why you have a simple computer too run the bot and a computer to do all your drawing and other stuff on. either that to wait.

Agreed. Consider your ShopBot computer as a dedicated controller.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Quote Originally Posted by andrius.ack View Post
    maybe I could not find the option on the control software, but many times I need to use the computer while program is running the file. Any suggestions?
    So your bot just went nuts!! now its just spinning and the board you were cutting is starting to smoke!!

How you going to stop the thing since you bypassed the computer controling it ???????

BAD IDEA !

I have had a smoldering fire on my spoil board and beleave me I hit the space bar quick as I was getting some water!

My 2 cents

Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

The ONLY connection to the outside world on my 10 year old Bot is a THUMBDRIVE!. The only software left on the control machine is notepad. As expensive as substrates are and as cheap as 'puters' are, don't take the chance of running a cutting piece. My 2 cents worth. as always, spend wisely! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Hi guys, thank you for your input. But that was not my question! Does this apply here?: "Learn the rules. Then break some."
    How many of you have ever driven a car without a seatbelt on? Yes it is a bad idea but we all know how to drive without a seatbelt!
    According to your comments somehow I have a feeling if I bypass the control window the ShopBot gantry would detach from the rails and will start flying around in the shop! Well, that didn't happen yet! The worst what rarely happens is the mixed Z heights where the bit can plow into holding fixtures. But that is not a problem.
    This is my problem:
    I have no luxury to run two computers side to side just to keep one dedicated to ShopBot. Windows OS is made to handle multiple tasks. It is also called multitasking. When machine is running I am fine to have the minimal control window active with the stop button but common please let me continue work on the computer!
    In my practice most of the time when I need to stop the ShopBot I simply use the stop button on the gantry.
    So let me ask you again, is it possible to bypass the controls on the computer while the machine is running? Does anyone know? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by andrius.ack View Post
    ....is it possible to bypass the controls on the computer while the machine is running?
    No. There isn't. This is by design so nobody gets any bright ideas.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

You don't seem to understand that there is PLENTY of 'multitasking' going on behind the scenes just to run the computer even before a software program gets involved. There are perhaps hundreds of tasks going on constantly just to run the computer. Even when not running a program, these tasks are on going.

That said, low end computers are a dime a dozen. Just checked Ebay - saw many under $100 USD - one just $15 (i7 core even). I bet you could even get an old XP (which is all that is needed) by someone just to get rid of it. Listen to the masters like Brady. YOU CAN"T DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. PERIOD. When that gantry needs to move, it needs to move NOW, not a few milli-seconds later as the operating system waits for the next available CPU cycle on the 'bus' to see if some peripheral needs some action.

Even if you did manage by some miracle to bypass the control software, or even started running something behind the scenes like a browser or your email program, the next time you came to this forum you'd be asking "Why am I getting comm errors and losing steps?" There is a good reason that ShopBot continuously grabs focus in their program.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I actually do run 1 other UI type program when cutting. Music player. My control computer is also my boom box for shop music. When the CNC is running, I can't and don't want to go and play with skipping to a new song in the music player. The control box NEEDS to have undivided attention of the computer. There is a LOT of background communication going on between the two boxes.

Like coryatjohn said, the next post will be why am I getting lost comm errors. Interfering with all that background communication WILL give you those lost comm errors. Then you get the wonderful task of having to reset all your zero's and start over. If I'm 4 or 5 hours into cutting/carving, I sure don't want to have to start over.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.