Thread: any ideas how to bypass computer controls while machine is cutting?

Hybrid View

You don't seem to understand that there is PLENTY of 'multitasking' going on behind the scenes just to run the computer even before a software program gets involved. There are perhaps hundreds of tasks going on constantly just to run the computer. Even when not running a program, these tasks are on going.

That said, low end computers are a dime a dozen. Just checked Ebay - saw many under $100 USD - one just $15 (i7 core even). I bet you could even get an old XP (which is all that is needed) by someone just to get rid of it. Listen to the masters like Brady. YOU CAN"T DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. PERIOD. When that gantry needs to move, it needs to move NOW, not a few milli-seconds later as the operating system waits for the next available CPU cycle on the 'bus' to see if some peripheral needs some action.

Even if you did manage by some miracle to bypass the control software, or even started running something behind the scenes like a browser or your email program, the next time you came to this forum you'd be asking "Why am I getting comm errors and losing steps?" There is a good reason that ShopBot continuously grabs focus in their program.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I actually do run 1 other UI type program when cutting. Music player. My control computer is also my boom box for shop music. When the CNC is running, I can't and don't want to go and play with skipping to a new song in the music player. The control box NEEDS to have undivided attention of the computer. There is a LOT of background communication going on between the two boxes.

Like coryatjohn said, the next post will be why am I getting lost comm errors. Interfering with all that background communication WILL give you those lost comm errors. Then you get the wonderful task of having to reset all your zero's and start over. If I'm 4 or 5 hours into cutting/carving, I sure don't want to have to start over.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

everyone here is speaking from experience. either wait or get another computer. thats the only real solution.

Default [Alt][Tab]

Dear andrius.ack

I imagine that you are quire frustrated that we are all giving advice rather than answers to your question.

If (like me) you loose control of the mouse - locked in the [START] buttom of the Shopbot Control Position Dialogue - for the duration of the processing the .sbp file.

I have never tried this so don't know if it will work or not.

But you could try Windows [Alt] & [Tab] Task Switcher to move the focus of the window to another operation. You will probably need to start the other 'operation' before loading the part file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-Tab

On your head be it.

Sincerely and in good faith
    Martin

PS to follow your car analogy, would you give control of you nice new camper-van to your inebriated 18 year old son while you made coffee in the back?

while you made coffee in the back PERFECT ANSWER! LOL Luv it. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

>> But you could try Windows [Alt] & [Tab] Task Switcher to move the focus of the window to another operation.

I doubt that would work as the ShopBot controller continuously grabs focus. You might be able to switch for a microsecond but that's about it.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

thank you all for your input, at the end I just hooked another laptop side by side the host and connected the two with the network cable. Now I can reprogram the cut files while machine is running at the same time.