Thread: Hold down techniques and jigs - please share!

Hybrid View

What a bunch of tender egos on this forum lately. If I only learned from people that were nice and agreed with me I wouldn't know half of what I do. Take a little and give and little back but don't take it so seriously, it is just cnc work. you are not curing brain cancer.
    Bob Moore

I like pneumatic clamps for production type work they can be set up just about any way.

Air cylinders running through the table

Off the end, great for dovetailing and tenons

Odd rounds clamp

Vac box, clamps to table when needed.

Simple wedge and dowel setup I do have air cylinders that drop in if needed for multiples.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harnett View Post
    I like pneumatic clamps for production type work they can be set up just about any way.
    Brian - nice demonstration of your hold down Kung Fu ~ Right on!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brady has espoused a system in which the object piece has a layer of transfer tape (like the vinyl sign guys use) on the back making it easy to remove later and then double faced tape to hold it down. You would use a "liner" with a smooth face(like a piece of melamine) on your table. Much faster than screws and quite safe.

If you have a belt sander (Table type) you can cut through leaving a skin and then sand the back off leaving your inlay parts.

The bench parts can also be done that way but you would need to start with thicker stock instead of the correct thickness.

I've cut thin veneer by spraying the back and a sacrifice carrier board with a light coat of contact cement and then peel off the finished pieces. May work for your inlay pieces.

There's a couple quick ideas anyway.

Default Yet another variation!

Our live steam park has lots of senior members and as an unfortunate artifact we have several passing's of members during the year. What we have done is set up section of our railroad as a memorial garden. I have elected to do some engraving in the tie material we use as a name plate in honor of the member. The material is like Tek Deck recycled plastic. I use a 1/8th ballnose. Here's the weird jig for doing the engraving. The jig is clamped to the table and the material is clamped on to the jig. Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chiloquinruss; 08-29-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    AKA: Da Train Guy