Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PRT ShopBot upgrades

Default PRT ShopBot upgrades

I've been procrastinating for long enough, I'm finally getting around to the upgrades on the old ShopBot. Out of necessity I've already upgraded the computer to a new windows 10 touch screen, although the touch screen part doesn't get used because the 'puter is in a box to keep it clean. Also replaced the control board with the latest version, as the old original died along with the 3PH Woods spindle control replaced with a HUANYANG VFD.

The dust collector boot is coming along, still have to drill & tap some holes. I cut the parts on the laser, split the boot so I could change bits without having to raise it high enough to get the boot off, magnetic attachment. It rained today so I played hooky today, working on the boot. So, tomorrow will be a work day. Unless it rains again.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I miss calculated the clearance for the front magnet holding the boot. I didn't think the spindle would go high enough to hit the gantry, but it did by about 1/2" from the top of the travel. I cut the magnet tab off and relocated one on each side back far enough to clear. Everything fits now, snug but everything clears. I wanted to keep everything inside the gantry to keep it all out of the way. I have a few more parts to build for the vac system & then I can tear the CNC apart to start installing all the update stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a very cool mod. I'm into making dust shoes myself:

That one is 3D printed, and has some embedded rare earth magnets in it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JW7CWMZ9XuD3Rpds7

What did you use to design the yours, and how did you bond the acrylic together?

Thanks Eric. I designed this one with Flexisign. It's the program I use everyday in the sign bus., so I'm most at home using that program. I used ''SCI Grip'' acrylic glue to bond the parts.

A few things if you're freshening up your PRT. First, the Z axis...those t-rails wear hard on only 4 v-roller bearings. The holes for the axles are already drilled in the Z for 4 more. Get some knock-off bearings from VXB etc, and the cam adjusters. It makes the t-rail surface last WAY longer and makes the Z stiffer...and they're cheap. If your t-rail is getting worn out, lay a weld bead along the length and regrind it. I know you have metalworking skills & probably have enough hand control to pull off a steady result. Belt sander works best.

You can gain another 1.5" of Z if you put the Z axis 90 deg brackets on TOP of the 1.5" utility strut. Not sure if you want more Z height, but I thought I'd mention it. You would have to drill four 1/2" holes for the bolts, but it's not hard.

And finally....Kudos for actually making your own dust foot. It always irked me that people who own their own CNC preferred to buy a dust foot rather than make their own. It's sad....but that's just my perspective.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brady, that is a great idea for getting 1.5" of added Z height. I'll do that after I finish installing the steel tubes on my X-car. (I finished fitting both of them today. Now I have to drill/tap and paint before welding...) Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Looks like my post didn't post.

I've never had a "Z" height issue in the past but maybe with the addition of the 4th axis, that might be something to consider. I did order a set of V bearings though. Thanks for the tip Brady.

Hello Gary, I was looking at the VXB site, and saw lots of options for the V-bearings. What part number did you order? Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

The originals are Bishop Wisecarver #2 size. They have a 3/8" bore and are for use with 3/16" rail (like SB).

These knock offs are too cheap to resist @ under $12 for 4 of them. VXB V Groove Bearings FYI - genuine BWC ones are somewhere around $50 each.

Now the pricey bit are the eccentric bushings that allow you to adjust the tension between the rollers & T-rail. They need to be 3/8" OD and 1/4" ID - you'll use 1/4" bolts and nylok nuts to secure them to your Z axis.

Here's a set of 6 here on Ebay - look around...I am sure there are other sources. If you find a better deal - post it to the group so others can benefit from your findings. You may want to get the 12 pack (also on Ebay) and split it among others on the board to save some bucks. You only need 4 - one per bearing.

...and of course, you can source the eccentrics from ShopBot. I don't know the price, but they will be OEM genuine BWC.

Happy tinkering people...
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Eric, these are the ones I ordered. I just clicked on the firsts ones I saw.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brady, I am a miser at times. I planned to make some eccentrics on the lathe. Chuck the stock up off center a tad, drill a hole, then re-chuck and turn to size. I planned to make the washer part of them large enough to put a couple flat spots on them so I can adjust them & Hold them while tightening the nut. Might work might not, but I'm always up for an adventure.