Thread: control software

Default control software

I have avoided like the plague updating to control software 3.8?? I remember in the beginning it had lots of issue and black walnut is expensive. Has the latest gotten all of the bugs out or should i stick with 3.6??

Unless you have a compelling reason to change, I suggest sticking with what you have.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

3.8 has absolutely no advantage over 3.6 for your machine and use.
    I would stick to it (and in fact did right up until I sold my big SB)

I've always been very reluctant to upgrade my control software from 3.6. It took several years to get a fairly bug free piece of software to control the machine. I use SBLink with eCabinets ALLOT in my business. 90% or more of my CNC time is cutting cabinet parts. Starting over "beta" testing 3.8 in a production environment is not my idea of a good business decision. It seems SB puts out control software and looks for users to test it to work the bugs out. Production shops need software that has ALREADY been thoroughly tested and debugged and is bullet proof prior to upgrading. It might be OK for a hobbyist to take on this testing role but people who make a living with their machine expect a much higher level of production software.

Like you said, walnut is VERY expensive. Same applies to $100+ sheets of plywood. I can't be ruining sheets of software because of a glitch found in the software. ShopBot won't reimburse me for the trashed plywood or broken bit ($35 compression bit) because of a software bug, so I'm certainly not going to see if there are bugs in the software.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

well yall have certainly made my mind up for me and i will stick with 3.6?