Thread: Porter Cable router bearings

Default Porter Cable router bearings

I have been buying router bearings locally and had mixed results. What would be the best Porter Cable router bearings to get and where to buy them? Also I have been considering getting a
    Milwaukee heavy-duty, 3 1/2 max hp model
    5625. Does anyone have experience with this router, it carries a 5 year warranty?
    Thanks
    Mike

I'd be interested in that myself. I have a Porter Cable variable speed router sitting on the shelf, because the bearings are making noise and the On/Off switch doesn't always make good contact so it can turn off at any time. Variable speed control, RPM also varies on it's own for no apparent reason. It needs parts, but I have back-up, so it sets on the shelf.
    BTW, it came with my first CNC, purchased in 1993, never been opened up, so it's been a good unit, until it wasn't.

My experience…

I had to remove the OEM switch from the mix… on a non SB machine I use a standard wall switch wired in conduit. On my PRT Alpha I use the contactors in the control box.

Anytime the router speed varies on its own, for me, it’s been the brushes needing replacement.

I buy brushes on line at tools-plus… last time they were $2.99 each.

I buy bearings locally at a commercial bearing supply. I do it that way because I feel I have a better chance of getting a quality bearing and not a cheap knock off.

SG

I replaced them on my old PC router I went to Napa auto parts and got one set and ordered another online for my other PC router. Real easy to replace if you have a good impact wrench it will spin the nut off before the router knows to spin

I’ve used the Milwaukee router for the better part of 14 years with my PRT Alpha. The problem I’ve always had is not with the bearings, but the electronic speed control which is quite expensive to replace, and the tachometer. It’s a small plastic piece at the top of the motor shaft that gets slammed into the speed controller and melts and shatters quite often, especially after a lot of drilling, or plunging. Recently, I’ve moved back to the old trusty PC router mainly because I’ve never had an issue other than bearings and brushes. The Milwaukee is also getting hard to find, at least around here anyway.

I have had my 7518 router rebuilt by the factory service center....cost me $175 and was like brand new when I got it back. Now I have a backup.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Never buy Chinese bearings, period. Any brand of USA or Japanese bearings will be top quality.
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

pro70z28

If you use an airgun to blast air around the switch/speed control, you may find the switch is bound up with saw dust. If so, it's a trivial fix.

Paul Z