Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny table legs

Hybrid View

Creative Solids, Fairfield Glade Tennessee

I agree that it is time to upgrade my aspire - it is a fantastic program - i have be stalling because each upgrade ir $400 - very reasonable when i go from 2.5 to 9.5, but steep when if i go from 9.5 to 10. They mentioned 10 as a tease for the denver event in october, but when i contacted them, they said there were no current plans for 10. That being said, i think 9.5 advances indexing enough to get the upgrade.

i think i am beginning to see how to put flutes on a taped leg, just need to start designing.

btw - in that category of ‘it never fails’: i recall the suggestion to use 4x4 as test pieces, so when you suggested that, i hustled to the local lowes and lo and behold they no longer stock the untreat 4x4 - bummer. Will try another building supply on monday

appreciate your assistance, i know i will be asking more questions
    thanks
    don

I got mine at HD.

Edit: I just checked HD's website and they indeed still sell untreated 8' 4x4's for $14. In the new Aspire they have a gadget for rounding a square blank that is quite excellent.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Perfect - hd is just a simple 57 mile drive from here. Maybe the local ace or local building supply store. Again there is always amzon prime....

John,

I was wondering if you would mind sharing your file of the legs, I have had a hard time wrapping my head around this process although I have been able to would out the basic of using my indexer....

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

You'll need 9.0+ to open the Aspire file. It's pretty obvious how to draw the tapered flutes once you start working with the gadget.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Here's a pretty good tutorial and explanation of the steps required. Also there additional tut's on the Vectric website. Russ

http://www.222artisans.com/Rotary/RotaryYaxis.html
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Thanks for the info Russ, I'll check it out but sometimes I learn much better with a real example.

John, I have Aspire 9.5 if you fell like sharing. My email is bravesoul1950@gmail.com just in case you wish to contact me. I won't necessarilycut your design but would problem figure out what you did so I can do something similar but different.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

It was really cold down in Boca today. 58 when I got up
    Seriously hope none of you caught in this have pipes or other issues pop up.

Ok, i have finally upgraded to 9.5 and it ‘paid for itself’ by easily converting pdf to dxf for a building project i am deeply involved in at church. And i have had a little time to play with the indexer section - to paraphrase Neil Armstrong - going from 2.5 to 9.5 was a giant leap for Don.

i can not help but notice that three players in this thread are fellow Volunteers - Joe is just ‘down the road’ in Cleveland, but John is a healthy 322 (our i40 exit number) mile drive. Not much to see in my small shop in my lower level, but i would be open to visiting your shops - wondering if any of you plan to go to McGrews this year? (Not sure when he plans to have next event).

when i get some designs on my indexer project i will share them. John, now that i have 9.5, if you are willing to share your tiny legs file, i would be appreciative

cheers
    don

I don't see a way of posting a file other than an image.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool