Thread: Help with Vcarve letters please.

Default Help with Vcarve letters please.

Machine file generated from Artcam 2018, 1/4" 90deg sharp engraving bit, 17k rpm, 70ipm. Letters about 3/4" high and from standard Times New Roman font. Set for constant velocity. Ragged edge on areas of the letters is consistent and repeatable. Got any input for me to smooth the edges? Of course I'm supposed to deliver tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seems like you're cutting awfully slow... But I don't think that's your problem...

First, I'd see if you machine is loose. Park it powered up and wiggle it in every direction (grab the bit) and see if you can feel any play. I'd also check your ramping settings, you want to make your machine more "slushy" when carving like that, if your machine is pulling up out of those serifs on the letters and jerking around, that'll telegraph into your cut.

I think you have bad vectors myself. If your machine is that loose, you have had big problems for a while. I am not familiar with artcam but I assume they have a node edit type of feature.

Donn, as soon as I saw the photo you posted, I remember seeing letters much like that when I was first setting up my Shopbot. I was experimenting with different materials I had laying around, and trying the few bits that I had. Now, as this was so long ago, it was my recollection I got a similar effect when I used a big 90 degree V-bit when carving MDF. The bit seemed sharp, and it worked well in my router table to chamfer board edges. But when I had the bit chucked up in my spindle, and would spin the bit by hand at a slow speed, I could see that the tip of that bit was moving eccentrically!

Now, that was a long time ago, and I might be confusing different cases. But after I stopped using that bit with my Shopbot, I don't think I ever saw that problem again.

Good luck, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

"Constant Velocity" suggests the use of Mach3 or UCCNC. Is this a new situation, has it been fine until now? You may need to check the tolerance settings that pertain to constant velocity. Times New Roman should be a "clean" font.

Is it cutting as if CV was turned off (stop and go motion)?

As others have mentioned, make sure the machine is tight (no play in any axes).
    Scott

I appreciate the responses, guys. Bob Moore hit it on the head. I had been using Artcam for years, but just began using this version recently and this was the first time for vcarving. Missed a setting to simplify nodes. Checked it and improved the results 90%. Times New Roman is a clean font, but has to be converted to curves to vcarve and that process created a poor node setup. And I am using Mach3 and have been for many years.