Thread: 2 or 3 layer Radiator Grille

Default 2 or 3 layer Radiator Grille

I built a bench around the radiator in the kitchen and made doors to match the cabinets. The plan was to put a diamond grille and screen in the doors to allow airflow and to reflect the pattern of the back splash. Something like this:

radiator-cover-screen-grilles-by-mesh-lowes.jpg

But it was a super expensive import and we couldn't find exactly what we wanted, couldn't laser cut it, hiring it out was a pain. So I decided to cut some out of cheap board stuff for now to see how we liked it. I brought it home before I had a chance to pop out the diamonds of some of the pieces and as soon as my GF saw it she loved it.

So, that's how this project was born. In the picture below, on the right is a grille on top of a second grille that didn't have the diamonds popped out. On the left it a grill on top of a board that I drilled air holes through.

20180710_222458.jpg

I like the the right for good airflow. She likes the left as it matches the back splash better.

20180710_222302.jpg

So, maybe I need 3 layers? That way I could make it look better but still allow airflow? I'm open to input, thanks!

You might consider doing open diamonds for the outer face then something as simple as bright metal gutter guard style mesh behind it. It would conceal the radiator and allow airflow and give it another dimension. Painted hardware cloth also comes to mind.

As for the outer grill, you may want to consider using a metallic paint like sculptnouveau.com and making the mesh a painted color. Emulating the colors in VCP or Aspire with the toolpath previewer is a helpful visual aid.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

That's a good idea about a painted cloth or screen! I'l run it by my fiancee. As long as it's cleanable -- I fear how much dust and car hair could get caught in it.

The current grille "color" is a clear satin finish over whatever that brown board is called (man that stuff is a mess to cut). I did that just to help protect it around kitchen grease and cat hair.

I didn't know that software could do colors. I need to learn it better. Thanks!

Brass window screen might be an option?
    Our local hardware store carries it for the folk that live close to the beach and the salt spray.
    I like it because mice/chipmunks and squirrels HATE chewing on it, and leave it alone on my soffit design. I can see where they've chewed the cedar ply over 22 years thinking they could get around it,but they simply won't touch the screen itself.
    Think it may be strong enough for cat claws too, as my cat wouldn't go near the one window screen I had done(and my other screens got ripped regularly).
    Just a thought.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

More wire cloth than you ever imagined....and some not that expensive

https://www.mcmaster.com/wire-cloth

Hello Seth. The side on the left looks much better. I assume that you will add more tabs to keep those diamonds from falling out.

As to the metal screen, I am with you, the air in a kitchen can leave deposits on everything, depending upon how much and what you cook of course. If you go for the screen, make it detachable, so you can clean it more easily. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5